ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Musical notes symbols selection/animation for MIDI File (or .wav) in real time

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott JohnsonMusical notes symbols selection/animation for MIDI File (or .wav) in real time
by on Mar 5, 2014 at 6:21:10 pm

I have a fun idea that I would like to implement in an animation, but I'm not sure how to do it accurately. I want a music box that plays a MIDI File (or a .wav/.mp3 if possible) and After Effects selects the appropriate graphical note for each musical note and floats that note into the atmosphere as the music plays.

So for example, say the song playing (instrumentals) plays a half-note, then it plays a whole note then some eighth notes. After Effects would identify that a half note was played and float the symbol for a half note upward in the Y direction. Then it identifies the whole note, and floats that note symbol upward, and then the eighth notes symbols and float those into the atmosphere.

The program/plugin/script could also identify chords and produce the symbols for those, etc.

I'm thinking it would use particle systems (Sprites) in which you could choose the symbols styles as long as they are labeled correctly. Then you could change out the song with a different song, and yet get an accurate visual presentation of the music that is played.

If you really wanted to get advanced, it could distinguish graphical presentations between actual notes (E, G, B, D, F), sharps and flats, etc.

Is there anything out there that could do this? If not, how hard is it to implement? It can't be THAT hard can it??

Initially for my animation I just had a bunch of eighth notes (single notes and double notes) that I floated randomly via nested Comps (not particles). But now I want to be more accurate. I want the music you SEE to equal the music you HEAR.

Any thoughts? Help? Thanks.

- Scott

Return to posts index

Leigh PattersonRe: Musical notes symbols selection/animation for MIDI File (or .wav) in real time
by on May 14, 2014 at 9:09:26 pm

I don't have a programming background but Celemony Melodyne can output a MIDI file based on pitch detection.

(If you could host this data with some form of programming middleware and create a matrix capable of producing input values for After Effects, this could possibly work. However, I have no idea whether AE would allow such a scripted input.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved