ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Text ripple upwards by character...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Cordell
Text ripple upwards by character...
on Feb 18, 2014 at 5:19:13 pm

I've been given the task of re-doing the animation of this companies logo. The original was done in Flash by someone else and I'm re-doing it in AE. Basically he wanted the movement to be smoother with some different timing and I've eased some of the abrupt keyframes.

I've got the castle animating in just fine but for the life of me I can't figure out how to replicate "Thoughtshelter". I looked over the presets 3 times to try to find a way to get it similar with no luck. I tried creating a path for the text to sit on but I can't seem to wrap my head around how to keyframe it to get the same effect. It's like a cross between a snake and ripple effect that affects each individual character. As always, any help would be great. Below is the original for reference to see what I'm trying to replicate.

Return to posts index

George Goodman
Re: Text ripple upwards by character...
on Feb 20, 2014 at 8:56:53 pm

Add a position animator to your text layer
Change the position to something like 50 on the y position
Add an expression selector
Delete your range selector
Animate the amount on the expression selector from 100-0
Add the expression below to the amount property
Play with the position number, the amount of frames the "amount" animates from 100-0 over, and the delay (first variable in the expression) to get the desired result.

(you can also play with the amp, freq, and decay values in the expression)

delay = .1;
tDelay = delay*textIndex;
n = 0;
if (numKeys > 0){
n = nearestKey(time-tDelay).index;
if (key(n).time > time) n--;
}
if (n == 0){
t = 0;
}else{
t = time - key(n).time - tDelay;
}

if (n > 0){
v = velocityAtTime(key(n).time - thisComp.frameDuration/10);
amp = .05;
freq = 2.0;
decay = 2.0;
valueAtTime(time-tDelay) + v*amp*Math.sin(freq*t*2*Math.PI)/Math.exp(decay*t);
}else{
value;
}

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Mar 19, 2014 at 2:47:52 pm

This is a really cool expression, but there's some weird wobble on all the letters as they begin to move, like a boomerang effect, and then it quickly begins the inertial bounce, which is really sweet, but I'd like to get rid of the wobble. Have you noticed this on your end?

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Mar 19, 2014 at 3:21:33 pm

Yes, you can get it removed by playing with the amount of keyframes the "amount" animates over and the amp, freq, and decay.

They all play off of eachother, but the whiplash effect you're talking about is likely due to an amp that is too high.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Mar 19, 2014 at 3:49:33 pm

It seems to occur when the Amount percentage reaches 0 no matter what I change in the expression parameters. It was doing this with the default values as well.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Mar 19, 2014 at 3:59:34 pm

change the delay way down, bring the amp wayyyy down, and move the keyframes further apart. See if you can make it work without it happening, then work your way back up. It always take a bunch of finagling for me, so I honestly mostly end up using amor type (which is free) even though it takes a while to render. The results are just better. I also usually precomp the text when using amortype and then create a proxy once I have it the way I like.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Mar 19, 2014 at 4:58:21 pm

Yeah, same here - with amortype that is. I was just hoping this might be a bit of a faster solution for rendering. I precomp with amortype as well, but it still takes eons to render.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Mar 24, 2014 at 4:11:24 pm

I just remembered that I actually figured out the solution last time I did this.

You're keyframing the amount right? So that value is only 0-100. If you keyframe all the way to 100 or 0, the inertial bounce can't overshoot it, so as soon as it hits the keyframe, it shoots back, but doesn't pass it.

To avoid this, I think I ended up making the rotation or position or whatever a higher value than I wanted and making it so that the 25% amount was where I wanted it to land. Then I keyframed from 100 to 25 so that it had room to overshoot and land back on the 25.

Sorry for the confusion I caused earlier in the thread by suggesting to keyframe from 100-0.

Whoops :/

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Mar 24, 2014 at 6:14:52 pm

Still stutters backward when it hits the second keyframe. No matter what I do to the values on the first or second keyframe, when it get to the second one, it keeps bouncing backward.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Mar 24, 2014 at 6:30:36 pm

Just went back again, and am having the same problem. I may have magically put some numbers in there that avoided the stutter for that particular situation, guess this is just a terrible approach. Also, since its in an expression selector, I can't see the graph editor after the expression is enabled, so its pretty much impossible for me to tell what's going on. I think we need Dan Ebberts on this one.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]