ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Flipping a playing card

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul GroganFlipping a playing card
by on Feb 18, 2014 at 9:06:53 am

I did a bit of googling of how to accomplish this - this is what I have learnt - if anyone has a better way, let me know.

First of all, the card wipe effect I thought would be my saviour. Set rows and columns to 1 and huzzah. However, when the card rotates, the image is constrained by the size of the original image, so it crops off the edges. I could zoom the camera control out to see the full card, but then it is getting smaller from where it was originally.

So, I think I'm having to do it manually. And here is what I did.

Get the front side of the playing card and animate it so that it is flipping all the way around.
Then, duplicate that layer and replace the image in it with the back of the card.
Move to the frame where the front would change to the back and animate the opacity of both layers - one goes from 100 to 0, the other from 0 to 100.

That seems to work. Is there an easier way?

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: Flipping a playing card
by on Feb 20, 2014 at 8:42:11 pm

This could help if your animation is a bit more complex than flipping once. It would be much less manual. It just makes your layer a 2 sided layer. It's name your own price, so you pay whatever you like.

http://aescripts.com/two-sided-layer/

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Paul GroganRe: Flipping a playing card
by on Feb 20, 2014 at 9:16:09 pm

Thanks George. However, I don't really want to pay for using a script for something which is a built in function of AE.

If I can explain a bit more as I was trying to make an object explode with the shatter effect, and I had the same issue. Basically, I had a layer, with an image. Shatter worked ok, but the shatter effect was constrained within the boundaries of the original layer.

The only way I could see around this was to precompose the layer, and make the new composition a lot bigger than the actual image. Then back in my main comp, apply the shatter effect to the pre-composed layers, and voila! - The shatter effect of the image now throws pieces all over the screen.

Did the same thing with the card flip, and it worked ok too.

So - the steps

1. Load image 1
2. Load image 2 and hide
3. Precompose image 1
4. Apply card wipe to precomp layer, setting image 2 as the back.

The problem with this however, is that although side 1 of the card looks good, the layer is bigger than the card, when it rotates to the other side, AE fills the entire layer with the back image, which is now a lot bigger.

So I guess I need to precompose the back of the card too.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 20, 2014 at 9:23:23 pm

Ya, I'm having a little trouble understanding what you're doing/where the problem is, but that plugin is free if you want it to be. All you have to do is type 0 into the box, it's a pay what you want situation. Think of it as a donation for someone who was nice enough to create it and share it with you.

I'm not so sure that plugin will play nice with what you're trying to accomplish though.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Paul GroganRe: Flipping a playing card
by on Feb 20, 2014 at 9:28:27 pm

Apologies for not being clear. I'll try and explain.

I have 2 images, one of the front of a playing card, the other of a back.

I want to see the back of the card on screen, and rotate that object around the Y axis. As it rotates, it reveals the back of the card. That's it really.

There is another way of doing it by having both layers visible, but the second image about 1px behind it on the Z. Link the rotation of both images, and then when it gets half way around, you see the other image on the 'front' of the card.

If you try this yourself with the card wipe transition, setting rows and columns to 1 and Y axis, you'll see that it works really well, but as it rotates, you lose the top and bottom of the card as they are cropped off by the original boundaries of the size of the layer.

Same thing with the shatter effect, if you just try to shatter the card and get it to explode all over the screen, you have to precompose it - otherwise it just shatters within the size of its original layer.

Hope that makes more sense.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 20, 2014 at 9:40:52 pm

Oh, okay, ya, forget the card wipe. This script is exactly what you're looking for. Try it out. It's free if you want it to be. Then, if you like it so much you want to thank the guy with a donation, just buy it later for good karma points.

I was under the impression you were trying to do a transition effect. So that's where I got confused. This is literally just a two sided layer, so a way less manual approach to what you're already doing.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]