ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rotating Globe with 2d objects surrounding it?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Omar Juarez
Rotating Globe with 2d objects surrounding it?
on Jan 23, 2014 at 3:32:06 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm having a problem trying to figure out something, I've been trying to learn to make something like this: https://vimeo.com/40745566

I made a globe with cc sphere, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to rotate the 2d objects as if they were on the globe?

I tried placing the 2d object in the composition, then moving it's anchor point to the center of the sphere, and rotating the x access from there but it still doesn't work, This is what I have so far: https://vimeo.com/84869900

Can anyone help?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Rotating Globe with 2d objects surrounding it?
on Jan 23, 2014 at 5:34:17 pm

I think you need to make the 2D objects into 3D layers, and then move the anchor point so that it coincides with the center point of your sphere - or close to it, anyway. Bear in mind that CC Sphere is really only a 2D layer looking like a sphere. You might get better results working with Element 3D, but it looks doable without spending the money for it.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Omar Juarez
on Feb 5, 2014 at 8:02:47 pm

Thanks Joe, I believe that's what I'm doing.

Return to posts index

Paul Murphy
on May 1, 2015 at 12:23:06 pm

This tutorial shows you how to attach 3D layers to CC sphere:

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Jan 23, 2014 at 7:50:31 pm

I'm assuming you're rotating on the Y axis.

-Create your sphere dead center of the comp. Make it 3d
-Create a Null Object dead center - Make the Null 3d
-Pick whip the y rotation of the null to the y rotation effect inside the CC Sphere effect.
-Now drag each object to the timeline so that they are placed center of your comp as well and make them 3d
-Parent all the shapes to the null object
-Adjust the x anchor point value so that the items are as far away from the sphere as you would like (note, this number should be the same for all of the objects and they are still right on top of eachother, just off to one side)
-Then add this expression to the y rotation of all the objects
n=(insert the number of objects you have here, no parentheses)
index*(360/n)
-Now just rotate the y rotation value in the cc sphere effect and everything should follow around with it.

*Note, in order for this to work, your objects must be at the top of your timeline stack. If you want to change where the objects appear, just change where they are in your layer stack, but just make sure that there is nothing above the objects.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Omar Juarez
on Feb 5, 2014 at 8:05:08 pm

Thanks George that makes a lot of sense, and yes I meant Y axis* (lol). I'll give that a shot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]