ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to get realism in a shot with a 3D object (using Element 3D)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ivan MironovHow to get realism in a shot with a 3D object (using Element 3D)
by on Dec 27, 2013 at 10:34:34 pm

Hello all,

Been on this site getting answers but first time actually making a thread. I've come across an issue that I'm really having problems with; lighting and realism.

In doing a skit, I've incorporated a 3D model using Element 3D. I've got it all laid out but when it comes to lighting it correctly, or darkening it or whatnot, I'm stumped. Here is a screen grab of what I have so far using some lights in AE and the lighting aspect in Element 3D. Honestly, I find it hard to work properly and quite clunky. It also doesn't help that I can't find any good tutorials on how to light things up in AE. I see a lot of people doing videos and they talk about color correcting and adding lights but never show how they did the lighting.

Now, I fully understand that to get the best, and most realistic, lighting, one would be better off doing it in a 3D program. Now, I *DO* have 3ds Max 2012 & 2014 but I'll be honest, I'm clueless when it comes to incorporating video footage and 3D model into it to mess around with it.

So, anyone here know how to add lights properly in AE? And, what would be some tips/advice on making this 3D jet not look so "toony" (especially the rockets and landing gear) and more realistic?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved