ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE effect to match lighting condition, as well as re-apply to additional layers?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg NeumayerAE effect to match lighting condition, as well as re-apply to additional layers?
by on Dec 27, 2013 at 7:07:18 pm

I've got two shots of the same object in different lighting conditions. (One is a 3d render, the other is live-action.) I'd like to use AE effects to sample the basic lighting in the live-action and apply it to the 3D render. Is there an effect that will essentially say, "Sample color A, then adjust hue/light/sat to make it match color sample B. Then apply that adjustment to the whole image as if this were the new ambient lighting condition." ?

Effect "Change to Color" seems a bit like what I want to do, but it's trying to just adjust a portion of the object, and that's not what I need. Specifically, I want to use a common reference object to compare the lighting change so that I can re-apply that change to the logo artwork that I need to insert onto the live-action shot.

Thanks for your input,
Greg Neumayer

Antifreeze Design
http://www.antifreezedesign.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE effect to match lighting condition, as well as re-apply to additional layers?
by on Dec 27, 2013 at 7:33:35 pm

You'll be MUCH better off doing the lighting in the 3D application. You'll get a lot more control.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Greg NeumayerRe: AE effect to match lighting condition, as well as re-apply to additional layers?
by on Dec 27, 2013 at 7:43:57 pm

I may not have been clear enough, Dave. I'm not working in 3D at all.

I have a product render (done in 3D under white lighting). I have a live-action shot with the product (lacking branding). Now, imagine that I have an illustrator logo, which is also created in white light (by default). I'd like to apply the appropriate color transformations to place this in the live-action shot by sampling the same point on two references (the 3D render, and the live shoot). I'm basically trying to capture the white balance offset and re-apply it to incoming artwork. Surely this is a pretty common workflow for someone in vfx, right?

Antifreeze Design
http://www.antifreezedesign.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE effect to match lighting condition, as well as re-apply to additional layers?
by on Dec 27, 2013 at 9:22:38 pm

Actually, people who color correct footage for a living would be better at this.

But I'll give it a shot.

Is there anything in the live action shot that you know for a fact is white? You could make a single-character text layer in a big, fat typeface, and eyedropper the color. Then you can eyedropper the text layer color when you make a light and change its color.

It sounds like it would work.

If there's a part of the live-action white in shadow, you could eyedropper it and make it an ambient light, and use the unshadowed white for the spotlight.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]