ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Growing mold/bacteria in petri dish...for text reveal

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam BradfordGrowing mold/bacteria in petri dish...for text reveal
by on Dec 10, 2013 at 9:09:25 pm

Hello all, thanks for taking the time to read this. What I'm trying to do is to create a text reveal that looks like it's made of mold/bacteria/fungus growing in a petri dish. So reveal would start with an empty/clean petri dish. It would have a timelapse effect and look like bacteria growing over time. The bacteria would grow to reveal a title.

This is the video reference I'd like to emulate:

I'm just wondering in there's a quick/effective way to animate the mold growing. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Growing mold/bacteria in petri dish...for text reveal
by on Dec 10, 2013 at 11:39:48 pm

You could animate a mask (or masks) on a solid and make it (them) grow. Then use the solid as a track matte for the text.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Philip BowserRe: Growing mold/bacteria in petri dish...for text reveal
by on Jan 12, 2014 at 3:44:11 am

This is a little bit late but something like this might be kind of cool:

-On a new solid apply CC Burn Film - animate the "Burn" value from 0 to 100.

-Apply Turbulent Displace - bring the "Size" down to something small like 10, and the "Amount" up to something high like 250 or until it looks "turbulent" enough for ya.

- Apply Roughen Edges - Crank up the "Border" to something like 30, and the "Complexity" up to 3. Play with the border until it looks edgy enough for ya.

- Apply CC Vector Blur - Set the "Property" to affect Alpha and bring down the "Amount" to something like -20 or until it looks organic and bacteria-ish enough for you.

You now have a an animated matte that looks a little bit like bacteria growing. You can use this as an Alpha Matte for your text! You may want to play around with some textures for your text to enhance this.

Hope this helps!

Philip. Bowser

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved