ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Distorting a Still Image to Move with Footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan LesterDistorting a Still Image to Move with Footage
by on Dec 5, 2013 at 5:02:02 pm

Hey gang,
I'm working on a series of Star Wars parodies for a client and they have requested something that I thought was easy. The client gave me an image of their product (and long, vertical data bank with their logo) and wants it to fly in from the top of the screen superimposed onto the Star Destroyer in Star Wars Ep IV (A New Hope).
Sounds simple, right? Well, because I'm a perfectionist (as we all are), I want to distort the image to bend along the center axis of the star destroyer to make it the "bottom" of the craft and follow it as it moves completely into frame with the boosters.

Here's the scene for reference:

Hopefully this request makes sense and would be too incredibly difficult.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Distorting a Still Image to Move with Footage
by on Dec 5, 2013 at 6:00:54 pm

Well, you're right: it's not going to be easy.

Oh, you can do it by animating the position of the logo & text on a 3D layer. I'm talking about LEGIBILITY. Would the viewer be able to even read a boatload of test at that screwy angle, and at the speed it would pass?

Plus, that Star destroyer's shaped like a big V. There wouldn't be much room to paste text onto the front, and tons of text at the back.

I think it's time for the client to come up with Plan B.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gary MilliganRe: Distorting a Still Image to Move with Footage
by on Dec 8, 2013 at 10:47:02 pm

I don't want to spoil your party, but doesn't copyright infringement concern you or your client? Of course if your plan is to re-create the sequences using all your own footage elements (including audio) then that's a different story. Even if your client is George Lucas you might run into problems as the franchise now belongs to Disney. Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved