ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What is this flowy painty technique?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George GoodmanWhat is this flowy painty technique?
by on Nov 25, 2013 at 5:36:45 pm

Weird post title, right? I'm curious to know how this person is getting such flowy transformations between shapes that leave the paint splatters behind it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

https://vimeo.com/79902897

Thanks,

George

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: What is this flowy painty technique?
by on Nov 26, 2013 at 6:43:29 pm

Two ways to animate that. I'm guessing the poofs of smoke are keyframed shape layers, but they could also just be frame by frame. I didn't see the paint splatters you were talking about, but most likely just frame by frame keyframed, or hand drawn. A lot of animators like to incorporate a little frame by frame animation drawn in Photoshop, but you can also just animate each frame in AE to get a similar look. The big difference is frame rate, so you might animate every other frame instead of each one to get the right look (use hold frames).

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: What is this flowy painty technique?
by on Nov 26, 2013 at 7:38:23 pm

Blast!

I was hoping it wouldn't be something that would take that kind of painstaking detail.

I wondered if there would be a way to do it with a shape replicator and wiggle paths with time offsets

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: What is this flowy painty technique?
by on Nov 26, 2013 at 7:57:25 pm

whenever I do it, it's usually about 10-12 keyframes max. so like 10-12 stages of animation. think 12 fps old school flash animation days. that' essentially the amount of detail you need here. the time it takes you to set up shape replicators and keyframe the offsets and such is about how long it takes to create each frame of that animation. Granted, there is a large degree of finesse required to make it smooth and beautiful. That's the difference between "animator" and "AE artist".

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]