ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Dichroic Glass Effect with After Effects & 3ds Animation - How to get started?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tobi FrenzenDichroic Glass Effect with After Effects & 3ds Animation - How to get started?
by on Nov 22, 2013 at 12:33:58 pm

Hi all, I'm trying to create a realistic dichroic glass effect in After Effects on a CG animation of a building containing a lot of glass surfaces.

For those who don't know, dichroic glass is a type of glass which changes the color of reflected light depending on the angle from which you look at it, so as the camera pans and rotates around the building I want the effect to appear to "reflect" light off the glass surfaces in different colors depending on the angle of the various surfaces relative to the camera and the light. It doesn't have to be mathematically correct, just look semi-realistic!

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how I can best achieve this? Are there some special passes that I can export from 3ds Max that can be helpful in achieving something useful? I was thinking normals initially but not sure if that would be any good here.

The cheapo way would be to just mask a rainbow overlay on the glass surfaces and move them manually but I am hoping to achieve something slightly more realistic as there are quite a few glass surfaces pointing in different directions.

Thanks for any ideas!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved