ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Remapping Black and White Points with Individual Controls

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cole ChristineRemapping Black and White Points with Individual Controls
by on Nov 15, 2013 at 10:09:03 pm

I'm looking for a way to remap individual colors in my footage with AE CS4 in much the same way an app like Instagram shifts the color scheme of a picture.

Levels and Curves can't accomplish what I'm trying to do. These plugins don't have custom inputs via eyedropper in the same way a plugin like Tritone does: Tritone can remap black and white to customized points with the eyedropper, but is limited to 3 values (black, mid and white).

Color Stabilizer is close to what I'm trying to achieve: I can set a black point and a white point, and my mids will shift to compensate as well. The problem is Color Stabilizer readjusts itself with every frame to compensate for changes in the remap points.

I've attached some extreme examples for demonstrative purposes. This is the original video:

This is with Tritone (it remaps the black and white points just fine, but eliminates complexity in the mid-range, creating a washed out tone):

This is with Color Stabilizer (it remaps black and white just fine, as well as shifting the mid-range values to compensate, but it recalculates itself with each frame of video):

Anyone know of a plugin that can achieve what I'm going for here?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Remapping Black and White Points with Individual Controls
by on Nov 16, 2013 at 2:24:58 am

How about color finesse right in AE? Using it, you can screw up the colors big time without too much fuss.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved