ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Workflow: Long series of speeches against green screen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MrArmadilloWorkflow: Long series of speeches against green screen
by on Nov 7, 2013 at 7:41:38 pm

What is the best way to create and previsualize motion graphics (in Premiere, for instance) before working in After Effects? I have a series of videos of speeches against green screen with a multicam-style setup, and it requires the addition of motion to the footage elements, and the addition of motion graphic elements.

I want the benefits of the NLE environment in case the addition of motion graphics calls for changes in timing of cuts, or changes in shots. However, I don't want to begin reframing clips and adding motion in Premiere, only to have to redo the work in After Effects at the final stage.

If I worked in After Effects:
+ No need to redo work with reframing, etc.
- No realtime playback without render
- Not meant as NLE

Working in Premiere:
+ Can recut as necessary
+ Smooth playback
- Not easy to add motion
- Would have to redo the motion work later

Any ideas? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Workflow: Long series of speeches against green screen
by on Nov 7, 2013 at 11:38:41 pm

What work would you need to redo in After Effects if you started in Premiere Pro? Have you tried opening a Premiere Pro project in After Effects? For example, After Effects preserves keyframes set in the Motion effect in Premiere Pro.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

MrArmadilloRe: Workflow: Long series of speeches against green screen
by on Nov 11, 2013 at 7:46:28 pm

I haven't tried that method of going to AE from Premiere - I'll give it a shot. However, I have found for this particular project that dynamic link and other methods that preserve motion from Premiere hinder a clean workflow in AE. To explain: The video series generally intercuts between three camera angles - one close, one medium, and one wide. My preference is to precompose all of the close-up shots together, all of the medium shots together, etc. in order to pull a key in detail once for each shot, regardless of how many times I cut away from that shot. I've been doing this by organizing my Premiere timeline and copy/pasting the different tracks into different AE compositions, (like stems from Protools or Audition.)

Am I off track?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]