ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Workflow: Long series of speeches against green screen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MrArmadilloWorkflow: Long series of speeches against green screen
by on Nov 7, 2013 at 7:41:38 pm

What is the best way to create and previsualize motion graphics (in Premiere, for instance) before working in After Effects? I have a series of videos of speeches against green screen with a multicam-style setup, and it requires the addition of motion to the footage elements, and the addition of motion graphic elements.

I want the benefits of the NLE environment in case the addition of motion graphics calls for changes in timing of cuts, or changes in shots. However, I don't want to begin reframing clips and adding motion in Premiere, only to have to redo the work in After Effects at the final stage.

If I worked in After Effects:
+ No need to redo work with reframing, etc.
- No realtime playback without render
- Not meant as NLE

Working in Premiere:
+ Can recut as necessary
+ Smooth playback
- Not easy to add motion
- Would have to redo the motion work later

Any ideas? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Workflow: Long series of speeches against green screen
by on Nov 7, 2013 at 11:38:41 pm

What work would you need to redo in After Effects if you started in Premiere Pro? Have you tried opening a Premiere Pro project in After Effects? For example, After Effects preserves keyframes set in the Motion effect in Premiere Pro.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

MrArmadilloRe: Workflow: Long series of speeches against green screen
by on Nov 11, 2013 at 7:46:28 pm

I haven't tried that method of going to AE from Premiere - I'll give it a shot. However, I have found for this particular project that dynamic link and other methods that preserve motion from Premiere hinder a clean workflow in AE. To explain: The video series generally intercuts between three camera angles - one close, one medium, and one wide. My preference is to precompose all of the close-up shots together, all of the medium shots together, etc. in order to pull a key in detail once for each shot, regardless of how many times I cut away from that shot. I've been doing this by organizing my Premiere timeline and copy/pasting the different tracks into different AE compositions, (like stems from Protools or Audition.)

Am I off track?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved