ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best photo frame size for After Effects template

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeff openshawBest photo frame size for After Effects template
by on Oct 28, 2013 at 8:44:50 pm

I am making a template in AE where photos spread out on a table will rise up to almost fill the screen. I am using position and scaling to get them in position and then disappear with opacity, the pictures are not 3d, just the background so I can use lights. I am making precomps in the main comp for the placeholders. People sometimes pull pictures off the internet that are low resolution, so my question is how small can I make the placeholder and still get it to scale in the main comp without losing quality of the picture?

Return to posts index

jeff openshawRe: Best photo frame size for After Effects template
by on Oct 28, 2013 at 8:46:10 pm

I forgot to mention the comp is 1920x1080.

Return to posts index

William MeeseRe: Best photo frame size for After Effects template
by on Oct 29, 2013 at 4:29:08 pm

Not sure I understand your question: as soon as you're scaling non-vector items above 100%, the apparent quality may go down. So make your precomps 1080 also, or whatever size allows you to keep their scaling below 100% when at their largest. Then scale the source picture _within the precomp_ to fit. This will not improve low-rez stills -- is that your intent?
Again, not sure I understand your question. Can you rephrase?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 29, 2013 at 6:40:03 pm

That answered my question perfectly. I'll make sure the placeholder never scales above 100 percent in the main comp. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Best photo frame size for After Effects template
by on Oct 29, 2013 at 6:29:10 pm

The limiting factor will probably be the vertical resolution of the file to be delivered, so I'd say a placeholder that's 1080 pixels vertically should be okay.

Now, you don't say a thing about the aspect ratio of the stills, which is something else to consider.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Oct 29, 2013 at 6:55:34 pm

My plan is to make 2 placeholders that can be changed out as needed for either portrait or landscape. The landscape photos will not fill the whole 1920x1080 at their final position, so I need to find a size that works good for the portrait and landscape, without changing the keyframes in the main comp. It won't be perfect but it will give people a choice in case they have too many of one kind, portrait or landscape photos. This template will be used as a memorial video so old photos will need to be scanned for higher resolution as I see it depending on their aspect ratio. Any thoughts on this would be great.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]