ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to do a mask properly?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe BellHow to do a mask properly?
by on Oct 25, 2013 at 9:12:23 pm

I'm doing some lower third graphics, and I'm trying to make a sort of 'traveling glow' pass through the graphics - check the video to see what I mean.

Anyway, I'm a novice at AE and have been squirrelling away for days trying to work out the proper way to apply a mask to the 'traveling glow'. What I have now is flawed.

- The glow is a shape, and there is limited control of the mask within the shape layer (no rounded edge)

- As the glow is a shape, I can't use Track Matte on it.

- I've done an rastorised alpha matte in photoshop and it's not good enough (and long winded)

Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to properly do masking and/or any tips on how to achieve the 'traveling glow' effect. If you have the time and inclination you can see the video and also AE project attached below.

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/botched-lower-3rd-graphics

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: How to do a mask properly?
by on Oct 25, 2013 at 9:32:23 pm

Save yourself the trouble and use the "CC Light Sweep" effect.

More controls, much better way of doing it. The effect is pretty self explanatory once applied.

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

Joe BellRe: How to do a mask properly?
by on Oct 28, 2013 at 6:08:48 pm

Hey there, thanks for the tip, the plug in looks like it does exactly what I want, but I'm not really wanting to spend $100 at this moment in time.

Any other advice?

Return to posts index

Joe BellRe: How to do a mask properly?
by on Oct 28, 2013 at 6:19:19 pm

... and in my case ticking the box 'preserve underlying transparency' on the Light Sweep layer did the trick.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]