ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

"Cloning" actors

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cody Dobie"Cloning" actors
by on Oct 8, 2013 at 7:00:42 pm

I'm in the planning stages for a new short, but am curious as to how I can achieve a certain effect, and whether it's doable under budgetary restrictions. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

A row of dancers dance (and potentially touch) their "clones". My dream would be to have them be able to "make out" with themselves, but that's probably the hardest thing to achieve.

- Facial replacement (ala David Torno's

. I assume the easiest way to do this is have your real dancers face stand-ins (dressed the same, same hair, etc.) and then simply replace the faces. But as they will be dancing, this might be way, way too complex?

- Motion control - Simply filming the dancers multiple times in a locked-off or motion controlled shot. My concern with this is, will the clones be able to interact with each other, and physically touch believably?

- I really want the camera to be able to move during these shots. I'd obviously need a motion control rig to achieve this, but even with that, will it make the effect too difficult?

- How much will this cost? - I know it's tricky/impossible to estimate how many hours this will take and the rate, but speaking for yourself, what would you expect 4-6 longish, moving shots requiring this effect to cost? I'm planning on approaching an individual artist, not a vfx house. Is $3000 reasonable? $4K? 5?[/list]

Thanks again for taking the time to read, and all of your help!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: "Cloning" actors
by on Oct 8, 2013 at 7:53:37 pm

Here's how it was done - in two parts:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved