ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Few questions on Coldplay's latest lyrics video.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luc Trombini
Few questions on Coldplay's latest lyrics video.
on Oct 2, 2013 at 10:34:09 am

Hello there !

Hope you are all well.
Today i'm coming to you for a few questions, that might seems stupid but I don't want to keep working ignoring some basic technique. Althought i've been working on AE for 4+years there are still some shadowy parts for me in there.

Latest Coldplay video is a pretty simple and clean work (see it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh3TokLzzmw). And couple questions came up as I was watching it.

1st: Infinite gradient in the background.
How can you do that on after effects? Did they create a solid, with a gradient, made it huge and then switch to another gradient by fading the previous one with the opacity settings? That seems odd to me.

2nd: at 1.20, 2.50 and so on you can see some lights rays coming from everywhere..
How to do that? It looks fantastic.

I would appreciate it a lot if some of you had the time to explain these effects.
Bests regards from France,
Luc.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Few questions on Coldplay's latest lyrics video.
on Oct 4, 2013 at 12:07:13 am

I'm sorry, but I don't see see any video, and I have never seen a Coldplay video. I couldn't tell the latest one from the first one.

Et felicitations des Etas-Unis.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Luc Trombini
on Oct 4, 2013 at 7:40:23 am

Indeed I see the link did not appear...
Here it is again :

Now people should understand my post a bit better :))

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 7, 2013 at 4:30:15 pm

I don't see anything that absolutely must be done in 3D, which makes things easier: I think this project is all-2D.

If this was done in After Effects, I think a lot of the fine lines were created in Illustrator and animated in AE. The characters from the zodiac would certainly have been made in illustrator.

There are many ways to get the nice, ramped colored backgrounds, and it's difficult to say which techniques were used.

This video represents a LOT of planning, time and hard work.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Luc Trombini
on Oct 7, 2013 at 4:38:20 pm

Hi Dave !

Like last time, your input is helping greatly.
Indeed I think the drawings were made in Illustrator, but the part I was interested in, is the one with the lines.

I agree it's certainly 2D, except a part of the video around 2.44 and 3.40 where it seems to be 3D as the camera is flying throuh them.

Question is, how was it done..? I would be interested in knowing the process, if it's not too hard to explain, I don't want to take a lot of your time.

Bests,
luc.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 8, 2013 at 12:06:10 am

I looked at those times again; I really don't see anything that could not be done using Illustrator combined with some glow effects in AE in 2D. They appear to be simple circles. There are many of them, but still circles with circle segments.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]