ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I render every other frame and have them numbered 0,2,4, etc.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Neumayer
How do I render every other frame and have them numbered 0,2,4, etc.
on Sep 25, 2013 at 9:42:17 pm

I'd like to render half of my comp - every other frame - to verify that there are no mistakes (it takes a few hours). Then, render the other frames and merge them. I thought I was so smart rendering 15 fps to an image sequence, but it numbers them 1,2,3,etc. instead of 1,3,5...

Is there a way to get AE to render frames like we do in our 3D apps?

IF I can't get it to correctly name the frames 1,3,5, etc. Is there a way to render 15fps starting at 0 and then again starting at 1, then merge the renders and use a flickering solid to knock out the top layer every other frame? I tried this last night, but for some reason whether I started at frame 0 or 1 I got the same output.

Antifreeze Design
http://www.antifreezedesign.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How do I render every other frame and have them numbered 0,2,4, etc.
on Sep 25, 2013 at 10:48:38 pm

I have a feeling your comps are far more complicated than mine, but I've never had any problems checking my work with RAM Previews.
You can preview every other frame (shift-0), you can use the Region of Interest to isolate trouble areas, you can limit previews to the Work area, you can reduce resolution just to check motion and speed...

...and they'd all be easier than doing what you propose.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Greg Neumayer
on Sep 25, 2013 at 10:50:29 pm

Thanks, Dave.
Specifically, I wanted to use the first night's render as a double-check of the entire sequence. If it looks good, then I'm half way done!

Antifreeze Design
http://www.antifreezedesign.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 26, 2013 at 3:08:50 am

Sorry, I have no clue how to render just every other frame. I can't really think of a good reason to do it. If you have:
  • Double-checked the comp to make sure all the details, colors, fonts, etc. are right
  • RAM-Previewed trouble spots -- you'd know where they would be
  • Done low-resolution previews to check speed and motion
  • RAM Previewed with regions of interest for crucial areas on the screen
I would think they would in combination be sufficient. The only other thing I can think to do would be to nest your comp in another half-size comp and render the whole thing as an H.264 to see the whole thing. It would serve the same purpose as your proposition, it wouldn't take all that long to render, and if it checks out, you'd be ready to pull the trigger on the final render.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Conrad Olson
on Oct 31, 2013 at 2:23:19 am

I don't know how to render every other frame from After Effects. But I do know it is a legitimate technique to check heavy renders, especially for 3D work.

If you ever figure out how to render every other frame you can then use the 'skip existing frames' option to go through and fill in the empty spaces.

If there is no way to get After Effect to render skipped frames, you could always do your frame rate trick, and then write a script in Automator or Bridge or something that renames the files with some maths. I think the maths would be (x*2)-1 but check that.

---

conradolson.com

Return to posts index

Conrad Olson
on Oct 31, 2013 at 2:28:41 am

I looks like it can be done if you launch the render from the command line with increment flag

increment is the number of frames to advance before rendering a
new frame. A value of 1 (the default) causes normal rendering of
all frames. Higher values render a frame and use it increment
times in output, and then skip ahead increment frames to begin
the cycle again. Higher values result in faster renders but
choppier motion.

I'm looking at page 610 of the After Effect CC manual.
http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/after_effects_reference.pdf

---

conradolson.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]