ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Easy Editable Text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexandre Papakonstantinou
Easy Editable Text
on May 1, 2014 at 11:53:18 am

Hello guys,
I'm here to request your attention and tips for a small issue i have, or let's say, a lack of knowledge.
I actually have a 3D space inside After Effects and there is one thing remaining to do, it's to put some 3D text in it. It is very similar to the Star Wars introduction, nothing special BUT :
I have to be able to modify easily the content : some sentences will be larger than others, some words will have other colours, and so on. My first idea was to create the text inside Photoshop (So I could read the whole thing) and import it as a composition. There's the problem. The text is waaaaaaay to long and I can only save it as .PSB because of its size. As you may now, AAE doesn't use PSB files.
I could eventually make multiple psd files but the purpose here is to make something very editable so the client won't have to open AAE and try to change what he thinks he can. Considering the enormity of the text contents, it would be very user-unfriendly to put it directly in a text layer in AAE (and won't be easy for me either to edit it)
Any ideas ? Your time and tips will be very appreciated. Thanks in advance !

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Easy Editable Text
on May 1, 2014 at 2:19:16 pm

What's wrong with an Illustrator document?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

on May 1, 2014 at 3:08:24 pm

It's a really huge list, 1080p large for 4500p long. That's why it becomes PSB and Illustrator won't let me get such a big document, i'm limited at 16383p...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 1, 2014 at 6:07:54 pm

Any problem using two or more if it's that long a list?

And if it really IS that long a list, how are you going to keep it from getting boring for the viewer? That may not be your prime concern, but I thought I'd ask....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

on May 1, 2014 at 9:07:34 pm

I actually tried Illustrator at the beginning and what I did was copy/paste from photoshop. The result was a HUGE document size and illustrator wouldn't go that big. My mistaker was leaving it like that. I now scaled the text layer to be very small and when imported into AAE, switched on the collapse transformation option. It now works perfectly.
And you are right, the video is long and boring but well, that's what the client wants and pays for. It's for a repeated screening in a museum... nothing very exciting.
Thanks for your time :))

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on May 1, 2014 at 1:50:23 pm

How many pixels large was that Photoshop document?
I can't imagine it needing to be much wider than 2000 pixels if you're working in HD.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]