ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Serious career advise for a newb

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
linh tranSerious career advise for a newb
by on Sep 5, 2013 at 2:47:23 pm

Hello everyone, Im 18 years old and this is my first year in uni. i have been interested in after effects and 3d animation programs such as 3D Modelling,motion graphics. i want to become sort of like a freelancer .my question is that is it actually possible to become an expert in such programs with the resources and tutorials found online and ultimately make a living out of it. i understand it is very difficult and it will require a huge mount of self-learning time which im already willing to do. i would like those experts out there to give me real and hornest opinion about this. thank you and sorry for my bad english (im an asian).

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: Serious career advise for a newb
by on Sep 5, 2013 at 6:57:28 pm

Here's my pointers.

Get a subscription to It has organized courses rather than just random tutorials from everything AE, 3ds max, Maya etc..

Don't get overwhelmed. Pick a software like AE or a 3D package and stick with it. You won't know what every button/effect/setting does for quite some time. But you don't need to. Basically just don't get intimidated. I have been using 3d Max since 1999, and I still haven't learned everything it can do. I learn it as I need it, and my knowledge base goes up.

I have been making a living as a VFX artist and designer for 14 years. It takes time to get going, but it's well worth it.

I worked as a the VFX lead at a post house for 5 years before leaving (on good terms) 3 years ago. Only now am I able to freelance from home... it takes contacts and time.

Worry about getting jobs later... just hunker down, and do the tutorials.

Last thing. Don't try and fly through tutorials at the speed of light. Take your time. If you have finished a tutorial and it looks how it should... but you don't understand what you just did on a fundamental level... do it again.

My Work:

Return to posts index

linh tranRe: Serious career advise for a newb
by on Sep 5, 2013 at 7:21:05 pm

@mathew: thank you so much for your reply :). i have been mostly trying to learn from going through the tutorials and trying to figure out the basic and concept of it. everytime i try to duplicate a tutorial there, i understand the more of the basic techniques that hes using to get those effects. im quite excited to learn more from the website you have provided. i really hope with hardwork ill get good enough to actually become a freelancer and doing projects for people :)
again, thank you . hehe and you are an awesome artist and designer im sure. ill defenitely check you your work :D

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Serious career advise for a newb
by on Sep 6, 2013 at 2:33:14 am

I recommend against starting with Video Copilot. The basic materials there are limited and out of date. Most of the things on that site are better for intermediate work.

I recommend starting here to learn After Effects:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved