ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Camera usage and workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joey campbellCamera usage and workflow
by on Sep 3, 2013 at 11:29:26 am

Hi - I was wondering if there is a plugin or technique that can simplify the process of animating a single camera throughout a long and large composition. [I know that there is 'sure target' but in the example below the camera movement seems very smooth but yet never seems to stay entirely still when slowing down to focus on the particular scenes]

Is the norm to use a combination of nulls linked to the camera to give more control or is there an expression used so that the camera hovers slightly rather than coming to a stand still ?It just seems like a very tedious process if you or the client wish to change the pace of the animation afterwards.

Any advice would be great

https://vimeo.com/25123730

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Camera usage and workflow
by on Sep 3, 2013 at 3:33:53 pm

[joey campbell] "
Is the norm to use a combination of nulls linked to the camera to give more control or is there an expression used so that the camera hovers slightly rather than coming to a stand still?"

It's used quite often. Have you looked at Andrew Devis' tutorials on building 3D camera rigs here on the COW? Very helpful...

[joey campbell] "It just seems like a very tedious process if you or the client wish to change the pace of the animation afterwards."

Very true. That's why more than one noted AE trainer says that the "3" in "3D" in AE stands for "three times as long."

Having said that, it isn't that tough to move keyframes around on a timeline. Previewing? Well, there are a lot of ways to preeview that make the process faster if you're just checking motion and don't have to see every detail on the screen. Take advantage of 'em and life gets a little easier.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: Camera usage and workflow
by on Sep 3, 2013 at 4:23:48 pm

1. Learn the FREE "Sure Target 2.0" Plugin from videocopilot.net. This can solve 90% of your problems most of the time.
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/sure_target_2/

2. If you make your keyframes HOLD keyframes while placing your positions keyframes, then turn them all back to animated keyframes at the end you will get less funky twists in your motion path.

3. Sometimes it is easier to simply attach your whole scene to a null, and animate the scene rather than the camera.

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

joey campbellRe: Camera usage and workflow
by on Sep 3, 2013 at 6:13:39 pm

I think the thing I find frustrating is that there doesn't seem to be a way to overlap xyz camera paths in the graph editor (like you can do in maya & c4d). Thanks for the feedback all the same.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]