ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

how to: expanding text and logo edges

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Denez McAdoohow to: expanding text and logo edges
by on Nov 6, 2014 at 5:07:29 pm

I'm looking to do this technique as seen in this video starting at the :01 second mark:

Immediately following the Variety logo, there is an "Artisans" logo treatment with an expanding circle with a logo in which the logo's edges also expands and then the text "Artisans" also expands from nothing beneath it.

So all the business with the circles I know how to do. It's the expanding logo and text that I can't seem to figure out. I managed to almost get there by using "Create Masks from Text" on text layer (could do this with any logo using "Auto Trace"), and then animating the Mask Expansion from a negative to 0. But this doesn't work on, say, the letters R, O, B, or any letter with a "hole" in it.

Is there a way to just shrink the edges of text or a logo, and then animate it so it looks like it's expanding?

Return to posts index

Denez McAdooRe: how to: expanding text and logo edges
by on Nov 7, 2014 at 5:47:56 pm

It's looks like "Simple Choker" was what I was looking for.

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: how to: expanding text and logo edges
by on Nov 7, 2014 at 9:35:57 pm

You could also use a track matte. Keyframe a circular mask on a solid layer to expand from 0 to whatever size is appropriate and position over your letter. Set your bottom letter layer to Alpha Matte. It should now reveal on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved