ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rotoscoped stills & Parallax Effect...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew AkadaRotoscoped stills & Parallax Effect...
by on Aug 22, 2013 at 7:16:07 pm

I'm looking to expand on rotoscoped stills I'm using as source material (e.g. abandoned cars and debris) but the edited footage I'm working from has a series of reverse shots filmed from a different angle.

To overcome this I was hoping to avoid any problems with parallax by using hulks that had been photographed from multiple angle. But recently I came across an interesting technique I saw employed in a documentary series.

Here are the links:

The effect I'm aiming for can be earmarked at 42:47 on the time code for the "Battle of Moscow" video and at 26:26 for the "Kiev" video. All of these elements were pulled from still photographs of the period without any access to alternate angles or takes and I was curious how one might go about replicating this effect in a program such as AE.

Can this be done using the 3D tracker or something else? I just need a little direction to get my studies moving in the right direction...

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Rotoscoped stills & Parallax Effect...
by on Aug 23, 2013 at 2:01:18 am

Vanishing Point Exchange:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Jeff KayRe: Rotoscoped stills & Parallax Effect...
by on Aug 27, 2013 at 4:19:25 pm

To elaborate. VPE maps a still image onto planes. This creates 3D planes in AE with the still image mapped onto it. Its easiest to see the effect (also by far the easiest to create) for something simple like the corner of a room, or a hallway, something with very obvious perspective. However it doesn't distinguish between objects or anything in the still image. For instance for a room corner, if there is a chair in the room, then the VPE will map the chair as if it were flat to the wall.

For the effect seen, you would create the VPE, clonestamp/remove any objects that are not meant to be part of the plane, cut out those objects in the original still, and import/place them into the AE composition. The setup of these are by far the biggest part. Once the 3D environment is set up, then its really just camera movement.

Return to posts index

Andrew AkadaRe: Rotoscoped stills & Parallax Effect...
by on Sep 5, 2013 at 4:39:01 am

Thanks for the input! But I made a mistake on the time stamps for the videos. It should be 42:47 for the KIEV video and 26:26 on the MOSCOW video.

I'm not sure if this changes your perspective on this but I appreciate the feedback nonetheless!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved