ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Create Shapes From Vector Layer - Illustrator to After Effects Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew MammolaCreate Shapes From Vector Layer - Illustrator to After Effects Question
by on Aug 18, 2013 at 6:21:14 pm

I create a tracing of a US map in Illustrator. Save as US.ai

I import the Illustrator file into After Effects, create a new comp from that Illustrator file. I choose "Create Shapes From Vector Layer" on the Layer in the new composition. I apply a stroke to the new Shapes Layer created called "US Outlines".

When I select the new Shapes Layer that was created, I can see the path outlines that have been made - pic below

However, when I deselect the layer, I do not see the path outlines, and the stroke seems to be applied to only select portions of the image.

I do not know how to properly stroke the paths that I am seeing when the layer is selected. Any help or direction in figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Create Shapes From Vector Layer - Illustrator to After Effects Question
by on Aug 18, 2013 at 7:40:52 pm

I assume that you're trying to get the vector paths to extrude once you get them into AE. Most likely what's going on here is that the map was created for accuracy, and many of the states are incomplete outlines, so they won't ever make a closed outline without extensive work in Illustrator. I have always had mixed luck, especially with vector maps which were free.

I ended up having to purchase a collection which was made with complete state outlines, in Illustrator format, with multiple layers for state outlines, counties, roads, rivers, etc.:

http://www.mapresources.com/usa-maps.html

I purchased the collection when the company was MapArt/Cartesia Software - they are now Map Resources, but have all the same products.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]