ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Moving mask shapes and a zoom in a broken mirror effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daan van den Berg
Moving mask shapes and a zoom in a broken mirror effect
on Jul 28, 2013 at 11:08:12 pm

Hello all,

Being quite a noob with After Effects I hope my question is not too stupid, but here we go!

For a student produced commercial we are currently working on a shot of a girl looking in a mirror that breaks (doesn't shatter, but break lines are visible). I have encountered a problem to which I could not find (nor google) a decent solution. Since we cannot risk to break a real mirror close to a girls face we built a fake bathroom wall and mirror frame which is filmed through. The idea is that we apply a glass layer which breaks (masks and 3d stuff to create the shards). But there is a zoom in the material! The first is a very slow (rider) zoom on the girl.

I have successfully found a way to apply the tracking data to the mask shapes, so the shards themselves move in the correct way. But since the zoom is in the raw footage, what is shown in each shard now moves double (the footage itself zooms in, and so do the masks).

Can I apply a motion to a shape itself, and not the footage in the layer?

To make clear how the AE project is build:

1. First I made a composition of the wall with a shape (subtract) for the mirror.
2. Then I created the composition of the 'mirror' space that fills in what was subtracted in the above layer.
3. I created various compositions from composition 2 that use basic 3d movement to change the image of the mirroring shards
4. All the compositions come together; first we have layer 1 with the subtracted mask that creates a window. Then below there lie all the point 3 stuff where the actual mask shapes are formed and the breaking takes place. So in this composition I now have the mask shapes that beautifully move with the rest, only the footage WITHIN these shards now move with it too,

How do I keep the footage from changing inside my motion tracked masks?

I use AE CS 6 and use Mocha 2.6.2 for the tracking.

Please not that English is not my first language and my sentences might not always go the point as quickly as they could ;)

Return to posts index

Jean Poole
Re: Moving mask shapes and a zoom in a broken mirror effect
on Aug 1, 2013 at 2:39:58 am

Maybe of interest? http://nveil.com/

You can use a custom image of broken mirror to create the effect you want with this…

"nVeil is an image effects artform playing on the appeal of the hidden image. It is the original visual combinator that transforms source video or still imagery, filtering it real time through vector graphic veils. Colors and motion come from the hidden source, the pattern comes from line-drawn veils, chosen from nVeil's library of predesigned veils, or easily created in any SVG editor such as Adobe Illustrator."

http://skynoise.net/projects

Return to posts index

Daan van den Berg
on Aug 6, 2013 at 6:36:12 pm

Hello Jean,

Thanks for your reply.

That's not really what I am looking for. The creating of the shards itself is no problem, i'm now having trouble with the zooming in the footage itself and the masks that cannot be linked to a tracking NULL layer because the zoom will then be double.

Return to posts index

Jean Poole
on Aug 6, 2013 at 10:29:06 pm

Hi Daan -
I figured it's not exactly what you wanted, but thought you might be interested in it anyway...

For what it's worth, the plug-in does more than merely adapt shapes - it allows independent scaling of either shard fragments, or the content within the fragments... it's quite fun to play with the various parameters, though is unlikely the precise tool you are seeking..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]