ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Referencing files in a Character Animation context

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dave leonardReferencing files in a Character Animation context
by on Jul 17, 2013 at 4:03:37 pm

Does anyone know of a way to reference in an .ae project file (character rig), so that when I update the character rig.ae file, the changes will be reflected in my animation project?

Projectsync doesn't work for this (as far as i know) because any keyframes applied to the referenced character rig in my animation.ae project will be eliminated when projectsync updates the reference.

Basically, is there a general workflow for updating an AE rig, throughout a show with multiple project files that are all using the same rig?

appreciate the help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Referencing files in a Character Animation context
by on Jul 17, 2013 at 5:08:21 pm

At first blush, I'd say, Probably Not".

Unless all the new character's source document has the same number of layers, the same dimensions and the same anchor points as the older character's rig, your plan won't work.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

dave leonardRe: Referencing files in a Character Animation context
by on Jul 17, 2013 at 5:33:36 pm

Well, I would be using the same source artwork. The idea would be to update expressions/connections in the rig.ae file, close that, open the animation.ae project and have those edits propagate through the animation.ae project without altering keyframes that have been applied in the animation.ae project. Make sense?

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been solved, Project Sync is the closest thing I can find, but it's really no better than just importing and replacing a comp. Wondering if there is a true way to "reference" an outside project, not necessarily "import" it, to speak in 3D app lingo.

Return to posts index

David MattockRe: Referencing files in a Character Animation context
by on Jun 23, 2014 at 5:59:28 pm

I have been looking for ages for a way to do this, the way Maya references in a master character rig, then you can animate hundreds of shots and if the rig needs updating you just update the master file. Please let me know if you come across any solution, many thanks

info@davidmattock.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]