ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adjust Z Position while maintain apparant size/position?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam PipesAdjust Z Position while maintain apparant size/position?
by on Jul 3, 2013 at 1:56:52 pm

I have to make compositions out of a series of paintings. I'd like to use camera movements, which means I have to give the layers different z positions. However, since these are paintings they already have their own compositions, foreground objects, etcetera that I want to preserve. Is there any technique for adjusting a layer's z position while adjusting the scale and xy positions so it appears to a stationary camera not to have moved at all?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Adjust Z Position while maintain apparant size/position?
by on Jul 3, 2013 at 3:58:56 pm

Take a snapshot in AE of the comp as it is right now. There's a button for it at the bottom of the comp window, and next to it is a button that displays the snapshot when you hold it down.

Move the layer in question in z-space. Scale the layer in question up until it matches the snapshot you took. Works like a charm.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Adjust Z Position while maintain apparant size/position?
by on Jul 4, 2013 at 5:30:14 pm

What Dave suggests is probably the only manual way of doing this. There might be an expression to handle it as well. What irks my chain is Motion has this built in and we're asking AE, a pro compositing and motion graphics system, to do something so simple, like pushing option/alt or something while dragging in z space to maintain perspective scale. No, that's just too complicated, or, submit to adobe.com/go/wish, or, it's not been requestd enough (all stock answers).

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]