ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to create the effect of a 3D fabric in the wind? Also, how to create a sort of psuedo-cell shaded look (see the shadows question)?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Jai
How to create the effect of a 3D fabric in the wind? Also, how to create a sort of psuedo-cell shaded look (see the shadows question)?
on Jul 2, 2013 at 11:43:41 pm

Hello Creative Cows.

Firstly, I wanted to know how to achieve the effect of not only creating this 3D scarf, seen at 1:30 into , but also how to animate it as if it's blowing.

Secondly, I wanted to know if anyone could provide me a tutorial or an explanation as to how the shading was done. What I mean is... Look at the people, as they move. They have big chunks of black on them, representing shadows. Were these manually put in? Or where they generated by something like "Turn shadows on" and doing some manipulation of Levels, etc.

Thirdly (last one), just like the first question, I wanted to know how to achieve the effects of the 3D people. Can this all be done efficiently in After Effects? I've contacted the creator but no response.

Thanks again in advance!

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
Re: How to create the effect of a 3D fabric in the wind? Also, how to create a sort of psuedo-cell shaded look (see the shadows question)?
on Jul 3, 2013 at 5:32:27 pm

This was like the 3rd comment down -

Kristian Duffy -
as usual Eran, unparalleled. Forgive me if its obvious, but is this created in 3D or is it 2D (using After Effects for 3D assets)?
I only ask because your usual work is 2D and although this looks 3D, knowing your talented self it could be an illusion.

And response was:

Eran Hilleli -
it is a fun mix 2d/3d maya and AE. hope this helps...

I was going to suggest that the scarfs are using some kind of cloth simulation from a 3d packaged. If you were really ambitious, you could build it using the noise() expression outlined by Dan Ebberts here on the Cow.

As far as the shading goes, I'm not even going to fool around with that. You can see it's an obvious 3d model walking across the landscape. And since he used Maya for part of it, I wouldn't doubt he shaded it in Maya using some kind of Toon shader like in C4D.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]