ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Ink-Smoke Brain

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gigi MarzoInk-Smoke Brain
by on Nov 8, 2014 at 11:35:37 pm

I have a great problem!
I'm working on a no-budget short film. This will be my first real job, and also is my dissertation.
Given that we study the theory, I have nothing in my hands about practice except for what I have learned on my own, thanks to this community too.
After this introduction, I ask for help on something I'm not able to do, but it's really essential for my project: I need to create a "brain" of smoke / ink.

Something like this , or this , or this so a good quality of a smoke/ink that during the movie, moving, forming, takes the form of a brain, like this (not revealing it, but a smoke/ink form)

Can you help me please? I'm in deep trouble...

Thank u in advance for ur time :)

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: Ink-Smoke Brain
by on Nov 18, 2014 at 2:51:57 pm

Well, Gigi, this is what happens when someone promises more than what they are currently capable of. I don't want to rag on you or bring you down, but just take this as a lesson for the next project. Remember to under-promise and over deliver.

Now, as for a few techniques: You can take your own footage of black ink in water, and the bring them in and try to composite it to look "brainlike." This would take multiple layers and a lot of time to do (as well as a lot of effort and trial and error). Use the liquefy tool or the puppet tool to get the footage to sit correctly in a brain shape.

Another option, watch these tutorials from Video Copilot, they use a combination of techniques that can create something you are looking for, assuming you have proper footages etc:

I hope that helps.

Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group

Return to posts index

Gigi MarzoRe: Ink-Smoke Brain
by on Nov 21, 2014 at 7:32:23 am

Thank u for reply!
I will try!

But maybe if I will find any tutorial I can try to do it in 3dsmax... maybe.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved