ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Mask all layers except the bottom layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike TosettoMask all layers except the bottom layer
by on Jun 23, 2013 at 5:01:29 am

Hey guys

I'm not sure why I'm having so much trouble with this, but I am so I thought I'd throw it out to you guys.

I want a layer of text at the bottom of a composition, then I want to wipe that text on and off with multiple masks that overlap each other as they're offset it time.

So imagine I have music playing, then to the rhythm of the music I'm wiping the text on and off, so in some cases the text will only be half masked on or off before the new mask comes over the top.

I hope that makes sense, I don't think Alpha Mattes will work because they only effect one layer. I thought Stencil Alphas would be the way to go but once I've built up two of them they don't work any more.

Maybe I'm going about it the wrong way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

miketosetto dot com

Return to posts index

Joey TrimmerRe: Mask all layers except the bottom layer
by on Jun 23, 2013 at 5:33:02 pm

Hi Mike,

I believe you want to preserve the underlying transparency of your text.

You have have to expand the controls in your comp timeline to see the option, but I've uploaded a couple images to demonstrate what I mean.

Just tick that box on each layer you want to apply to the text. Hope that helps!

Return to posts index

William ScholikRe: Mask all layers except the bottom layer
by on Jun 25, 2013 at 2:24:33 pm

What Joey recommended is very cool, I've never played around with that before. You learn something new everyday. The only trouble I see with that is that the text will always be visible. The question to me is why can't you just use multiple masks on your text layer? You would still be able to animate each mask independently. Are you trying to cut holes in all of the layers above the text?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved