ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animated fractal outlines shaping characters and objects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Istvan Szabo IfjAnimated fractal outlines shaping characters and objects
by on Jun 11, 2013 at 6:17:13 am

I'm working on a trailer and I already made some visual sketches, but right now I don't have a clue how to solve one of the effects in AE. The effect I'd like to achive is below. What basically want is that all these thingies are animated and streaming around the character or an object. Basically the animated "aura" lines should shape the face, the hair, the brow, etc, etc... In the video it would represent a spirit world where everything is outlined by their "aura".

Here is the effect what I want to achieve;

Basically I need a technique that with I can achieve this and what I may apply to every possible still art, be it character or matte painting.

Any help or idea would be very useful.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Animated fractal outlines shaping characters and objects
by on Jun 11, 2013 at 2:20:46 pm

I believe that sample shot is done with Fractalius:

http://www.redfieldplugins.com/filterFractalius.htm

I don't know how it works with video in Photoshop, but it would be worth a try, since you can import video into PS, and apply filters to it. The trick would be to keep it smooth as it animates, and not totally random and jumpy.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Istvan Szabo IfjRe: Animated fractal outlines shaping characters and objects
by on Jun 11, 2013 at 6:06:51 pm

Yep, Joe, you see it right. I made that sample art by using Fractalius then I reworked it. But that preset is Photoshop only, while I need an animated fractalius solution for AE. However in the meantime I figured out a temporary hack-around. I make the art with Fractalius, then I draw masks around the key lines (One layer per line) and then I apply a gentle Wave Warp onto it with some slight Sine Type move. That one is the easiest solution I figured out and it works relatively well. However it looks a bit awkward, but some effect may hide those ones as well. It just takes time and a lot of layers to animate the still. The more lines the picture have, the more it will take. However if someone knows a better idea, I would gladly hear it.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Animated fractal outlines shaping characters and objects
by on Jun 11, 2013 at 7:23:17 pm

If you have the Photoshop Extended version, you can import the video into Photoshop, then apply the Fractalius plugin to the video, and see how that works. If it does work in Photoshop, you could output a second copy of the head outline with the Fractalius animated effect, and use that as a second layer in After Effects for the outline, sized up a bit, and with a feathered mask.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]