ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rotating images such as PSD in a circle.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
vanessa mckeownRotating images such as PSD in a circle.
by on May 23, 2013 at 6:51:03 pm

Hello

I wanted to know if there was a way of rotating a file round a circle in after effects. For example I would have 6 psd files that I want to be going round 360 degrees so I can animate them and as a group.

Hopefully that makes sence.

Thanks so much : )

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Rotating images such as PSD in a circle.
by on May 24, 2013 at 9:39:58 am

Yes, such an animation is simple in After Effects. If I'm picturing what you want correctly, it's just a matter of animating the Rotation property. If you want to animate six items together, there are a few ways to do it; one is to precompose the six layers together and animate the precomposition layer.

Start here to learn After Effects: http://adobe.ly/bjBT3P

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Rotating images such as PSD in a circle.
by on May 24, 2013 at 4:23:36 pm

I'm assuming you'd like to have all those layers horizontal at all times, as in, when they begin rotation and start to arc, then gradually turn upside down, you don't want that, right? So there is a simple solution to this. Precomposing would be a good idea if you want to arrange your layers in a radial pattern, like all the layers are perpendicular to the path all around the path. If that's not what you're looking for - try this:

1. Arrange your PSDs where you want them in your cirlce.
2. Create an object Null (Layer>New>Null). That will appear in the center of your comp by default.
3. Parent all your PSDs to the Null object.
4. Opt/Alt click the stopwatch on one of the PSDs rotation parameter.
5. Enter this expression -parent.transform.rotation. Push Enter or ESC.
6. Right click that rotation parameter you just set the expression to and click 'Copy Expression Only'.
7. Select all the other PSDs and do a paste action on all of them to apply that expression to the rest of your layers.
8. Animate the Object Null's rotation parameter.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Blair CanadaRe: Rotating images such as PSD in a circle.
by on May 9, 2014 at 9:32:45 pm

Jason,

Thank you for an excellent post.

I followed your great tutorial but I was unable to achieve what I was after. I think I may have been confused by the description.

If i had a series of "call outs" ( made in a PSD format) that I wanted to rotate around ( front to back) an image how whould I go about that?

Would it be possible to make the images "disappear" behind the image as they rotate?

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Rotating images such as PSD in a circle.
by on May 10, 2014 at 2:13:56 am

I'm not entirely sure what you want to do. Do you have a reference you're trying to match?

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

vanessa mckeownRe: Rotating images such as PSD in a circle.
by on May 24, 2013 at 8:33:40 pm

Thanks so much! I found a tutorial of what I wanted
http://ae.tutsplus.com/tutorials/motion-graphics/kaleidoscope-of-dancing-ve...

I shall try what you said too! Thank you again! : )

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]