ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects - How do I animate an image to create an effect similar to the Tornado Text Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
linda quinlanAfter Effects - How do I animate an image to create an effect similar to the Tornado Text Effect
by on May 21, 2013 at 11:51:50 am

Hello

I want to create an effect where I animate a vector image (a chain of sausages) in a way that the motion is similar to the Tornado Text Effect or Ribbon Text Effect.

I am working in AfterEffects & FCP does anyone have any suggestions of how to do this with a vector image? My skill level in AE is pretty basic but I want to keep on honing these skills!

This is the is image I want to animate.
http://www.shutterstock.com/pic.mhtml?id=113785741&src=same_artist-11378573...

I would also like to create some sparks radiating from the sausages, so that it gives the appearance that they are sizzling or hot. Any suggestions on how to give this 'sizzling or spark effect' in AE ?

Sincerest thanks

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: After Effects - How do I animate an image to create an effect similar to the Tornado Text Effect
by on May 22, 2013 at 11:34:10 pm

I've done something similiar to this with a belt drive system -

To link all those belt pieces together I basically animated one link in the belt, then duplicated it to get enough copies to make a continual belt loop. You have to offset the layers one at a time so they don't all overlap each other of course. To get a tornado look, I'd create a motion path for the first object, set key frames for the speed and motion, then go about duplicating them and offsetting the layers to create a chain of sausages. The problem I forsee with your example is your 2d layer won't look so awesome on a 3d path, which is what I think the tornado text effect is. So there would be some trickery there to create that tornado look without getting paper thin layers at some point, unless you don't mind that.

As for the splattering and cooking effect, the fastest way I can think of doing that is by hand. You'd have to create some drops, like grease drops spurting off and just animate it one frame at a time. That's a lot easier than it sounds because you only need maybe 5 or 6 frames worth of grease drops spurting off, per drop anyway. For sizzling on the actual sausages, I'd probably handle that frame by frame as well, but do it on one sausage, precomp it, duplicate the precomp a couple times, then tweak about 3 or 4 copies of sizzling sausages, THEN use that precomped sausage as my first object on my tornado path. Just vary up your duplicates here and there to randomize the sizzling look or it'll look like too many clones sizzling at the same time, or just slightly offset.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]