ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Watefall? Psunami?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian RiveraWatefall? Psunami?
by on Apr 21, 2013 at 8:02:06 pm

HI everyone!
Wondering if anyone knows of the best way to do a realistic waterfall in after effects - I saw a tutorial that uses Particular but the result is not what I am after.

I am wondering if I could get Psunami to do Watefall?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Watefall? Psunami?
by on Apr 21, 2013 at 10:35:29 pm

The easiest thing is probably to start with stock footage of a waterfall and use that as the starting point---masking, duplicating, color-correcting, and otherwise using compositing techniques to make it fit into your shot. Such approaches are almost always faster and more realistic than starting from scratch with synthetics like particle generators.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Watefall? Psunami?
by on Apr 21, 2013 at 11:07:12 pm

Todd is right - while particle systems are great for doing the foamy splashing part of water physics, they are no good at doing the surfaces. Psunami can certainly do the body of water leading up to the drop into air, so you might do a combination of Psunami (or real footage masked, as Todd suggested), and Particular. Or you might also take a look at Illusion, by Wondertouch, which has some killer water spray presets:

It appears that Wondertouch is now owned by GenArts, creators of the Sapphire plugins (as of 2009 - I haven't been paying attention).

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Sebastian RiveraRe: Watefall? Psunami?
by on Apr 24, 2013 at 4:38:56 pm

Thanks for the help,

I can't really use footage of waterfall since my Resolution is not normal resolution, I have to make the waterfall , I am leaning towards PI but I was hoping to do something dynamic in After Effects

Return to posts index

michael zoppoRe: Watefall? Psunami?
by on May 9, 2013 at 7:45:19 pm

Regardless of the resolution of your project you should be able to grab any stock footage and conform it to the resolution of your comp without it getting stretched or deformed. And I would agree that this would be the best way to achieve a realistic look.

Particular can do some pretty amazing things when used right and sometimes in many iterations. There a lof of waterfall tutorials out there for particular that are just terrible. But there are ways to get convincing looks from it but like I said, it's a lot of trial and error, duplicated layers using the same effect, applying other effects to the particle layer like distort > wave warp, using 3D lights and shading can help too, but this is the sort of thing that can bring about migraines which is why I think stock footage would be the best approach.

Psunami is not bad but it's a render hog if you want good results,

Also there is realflow, but that's an actual high end 3D production tool that requires a lot of work to get right.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved