ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Black background removing!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrea Di BerardinoBlack background removing!
by on Apr 19, 2013 at 9:49:52 pm

Hi everyone, i am working on a project where i have to blend two footage.
The footage that i have to blend is an hand (black and white) with black background. My problem is when i use luma key effects for remove black background, part of the hand is not visible because there is some black shadow on, and also is transparent. Which techniques is the best way for have clean subject (the hand) without black background? Thank you in advance.

Andrea Di Berardino

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: Black background removing!
by on Apr 20, 2013 at 8:08:57 pm

Try the rotobrush

Return to posts index

Andrea Di BerardinoRe: Black background removing!
by on Apr 20, 2013 at 8:20:58 pm

Hi Fernando, thanks for your reply!!
The trouble is that i try also with the rotobrush but does not give good result in my footage. Also do you know why when i use luma key effect there is little bit of trasparency in the footage? Thanks in advance

Andrea Di Berardino

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: Black background removing!
by on Apr 22, 2013 at 1:28:58 pm

Witout seeing an image of your project is hard to guess. Maybe you need to learn better to tweak those tools or maybe your footage calls for manual rotoscoping.

Return to posts index

Dan DonaldsonRe: Black background removing!
by on Apr 24, 2013 at 6:28:30 pm

Hey Andrea,

If the rotobrush is giving you problems, you could try manually rotoing the footage by using the Pen tool, depending on how long your footage is. Or, you can duplicate the footage and use the Pen tool around the area that gets accidentally keyed out. Again, this depends on the length of the footage.

The Primatte keyer from Red Giant works wonders but it's pretty expensive. Other than that, you could try using multiple Color Key effects or the Color Range effect. Maybe Keylight? It's always hard keying out a background when that color is present elsewhere.

Now, to your transparency question. When keying out a color, it removes said color from the entire footage. Your footage probably has some shades of black in the remaining footage that is keyed out along with the background. Since there is no longer color there, it leaves a hole which is the transparency you see.

I hope all this helped. Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved