ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I use Trapcode sound keys to trigger a change in an image?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon MelotHow do I use Trapcode sound keys to trigger a change in an image?
by on Apr 19, 2013 at 12:40:14 am

This is kind of an odd question, so let me know if it isn't clear.

I've got a series of images that serve almost as stop-motion-animation (dozens of series actually). Trapcode Sound Keys has been run on an audio track and the frequency of the kick drum on the track has been isolated and turned into keyframes. All kinds of stuff is linked/parented to those key frames. However, I am running into a wall.

I want to put a bunch of images in a sequence, and have the image advance in relation to the kick drum on the audio track (using the keyframes created by sound key). Basically, is there a way to tell After Effects that when a certain frequency is hit, advance to the next picture in the sequence?

Ideally I'll end up doing this multiple times, and even to different subdivisions of the beat (quarter note, eighth note, etc...). But I'm not quite sure how to get images to advance through a sequence in such a manner. Can you help? Does that even make sense? Thanks!

-jon

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: How do I use Trapcode sound keys to trigger a change in an image?
by on Apr 19, 2013 at 1:27:51 pm

I honestly think it would be much easier to just play through the audio track, and lay down Composition Markers on the fly, where you want them to fall, than to try to automate the process.

You can just play the track, and as it's playing, hit the Asterisk key (*) on the number keypad. This will lay down Composition Markers on the fly, and it's pretty accurate, depending on the speed of your machine.

While I think you could do it with the keyframes and Expressions, I would certainly try the manual route first. Here's some info on it:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Jon MelotRe: How do I use Trapcode sound keys to trigger a change in an image?
by on Apr 19, 2013 at 2:10:30 pm

I'll look into the manual idea, but I've probably got 1000 pictures or more that I need to do this to. Some will be sequences that take up a quarter of the scene sometimes, other times they will be a sixth of the screen, etc... so, i was hoping to be able to drop in my different sized comps of sequences and link them to the beat already mapped out in the main composition. Not sure if that makes sense.

I'm wondering if I can set up a sequence, and time remap it to the output of soundkeys?

Return to posts index

Dan DonaldsonRe: How do I use Trapcode sound keys to trigger a change in an image?
by on Apr 24, 2013 at 6:02:50 pm

I'm not quite clear what you are create. Are you trying to have those 1000 pictures individually parented to you SK layer or do you have those pictures in comps and you want those comps to be affected by SK?

Either way, I don't think SK can switch between images. What I would do, going off of Joseph's post, is mark the point when you want the switch to take place (Shift+8). Then place your two comps into the composition. At the marked point, hit Alt+Left Bracket on the top comp and Alt+ Right Bracket on the bottom comp. This should make your comps switch at the bookmarked point. You can achieve this effect also by key framing the opacity of each layer.

This is really tedious if you have to do it for all of the photos. But I don't know another way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]