ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Buying and using infographic templates, acceptable or frowned upon?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wil Colquhoun
Buying and using infographic templates, acceptable or frowned upon?
on Apr 13, 2013 at 6:47:22 pm

I've been considering buying this template for a while :

https://www.fluxvfx.com/templates/infographics-after-effects-template/

I'm a second year student and thought it would be a nice addition for whenever I need to overlay some quick infographics on any of my pieces. From you industry designers, is it frowned upon? I want to know if its a big no no before I go and invest! (obviously i'd use my own infographics if it was a solely infographic based piece.)

Cheers,

Wil.

Return to posts index

Joey Trimmer
Re: Buying and using infographic templates, acceptable or frowned upon?
on Apr 13, 2013 at 7:28:44 pm

Hi Will!

If it's something you need and you need it fast, I don't see the problem with it. Is purchasing stock video or graphics bad? How about scripts that expedite things you already know? The only thing I could see wrong with it is if it's taking a shortcut because you're unable to do it, you're probably losing out on an educational opportunity. Also, if it's not in your style or it's quite obvious it's just stock it doesn't have that touch that may be unique to you. But if it's helpful and you can make it your own who cares.

Return to posts index

Wil Colquhoun
on Apr 13, 2013 at 7:39:26 pm

Hi Joey!

Perfect response! That's exactly what I was thinking, if it's the fact that i'm being lazy then its definitely a No, but i'm thinking it would be handy to have there even for quick presentations e.t.c. My only concern is say, if I was applying for internships and someone spotted some customised stock in any of my pieces I wouldn't want them instantly slotting me down as a no because of it! Does that make sense?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 13, 2013 at 10:17:44 pm

I just wouldn't use it in a demo and represent it as my own - or at least explain it if a potential client asked. That's the downside of template graphics - since they're not unique, they could show up anywhere, and possibly embarrass you.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Wil Colquhoun
on Apr 14, 2013 at 11:33:02 am

Cheers Joe! Agreed, I think i'd be too worried abut them popping up somewhere. So, aslong as they're just used for work that isn't displayed in my portfolio i'd be alright!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 14, 2013 at 6:42:57 pm

Yes Wil -

And it also depends on the type of work you're doing - if these info graphics are being done, say, for a corporate, in-house presentation, now worries. If they're going to a trade show where it might be shown on the floor, and there's a chance that the company right across the aisle might have the same graphic, I'd be worried. And of course, the chances of that are few and far between, but stranger things have happened...

Also, needless to say, most of these templates, if they're properly designed, can have the flexibility to change color schemes, add in corporate backgrounds, and in essence, customize they beyond being recognized for what they are.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]