ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

creating a demo reel

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tom edwardscreating a demo reel
by on Apr 8, 2013 at 1:13:15 am

quick question regarding creating a demo reel.
let's say my demo reel will be 2:00 and will feature graphics that lead to and introduce short snippets of videos i've created.
do i create a comp that's two minutes long?
or is it easier (for rendering purposes if nothing else), to create a series of shorter compositions and edit them together say in premiere pro?

Return to posts index

tom edwardsRe: creating a demo reel
by on Apr 8, 2013 at 1:14:52 am

(btw, after posting, i realized i probabyl just posted in the incorrect form heading. sorry about that.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: creating a demo reel
by on Apr 8, 2013 at 1:42:05 am

I'd probably do the editing in Premiere Pro.

Here are some resources about exactly this:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: creating a demo reel
by on Apr 8, 2013 at 12:07:41 pm

Tom -

If you're creating a demo reel in which you're basically cutting together samples of the work you've done, without section headers/intros and that sort of thing, I think Todd is right on the money: PPro is the faster way to work.

As far as my own demo stuff goes, I had to create a version which involved types of projects I'd done, for example, Motion Graphics, 3D Animation, Photography, Set Design, etc.. So I built my reel entirely in AE, using a master comp, and a comp for each of the topical sections, as well as an intro comp, which I did the basic elements in, then animated the text in for whatever topic I was intro-ing. I felt that this gave me the flexibility to add or drop elements wherever I needed to, and I could quickly find where I needed to work. As much of an organization/housekeeping thing, than a PPro vs AE thing...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: creating a demo reel
by on Apr 10, 2013 at 2:39:14 pm

I agree with the advice you have already received. All you need is some sort of title that says this is a demo reel and then let your work speak for itself. Much easier to do in a NLE system. Take a look at the Video tab at the top of this page. The COW has a whole section dedicated to demo reels. Take a look at how they are laid out.

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved