ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

On Set Monitor Color

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott SutterOn Set Monitor Color
by on Mar 22, 2013 at 5:48:51 pm

Hello all. I am running into an issue with the color reproduction of on set monitors. Here is the setup. Cameras- hpx370 with standard lenses, monitor- nec p552-avt LCD monitor, tungsten studio lighting. When shooting the monitors colors are way off. Now i know why and when i set the color correction on the actual monitors to either 3200k or 4300k i still get incorrect colors. Unfortunately i do no have a color corrector to run the monitors through to do it right so my plan would be to use a filter on footage thats played on the monitor. My question is, what is the process of making this filter in photoshop or after effects? Is it just an orange layer on top of footage? Does anybody have outlined details on what to do?

Also the other ideas was to use half cto orange in front of monitor but it creates a glare.

Any help is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: On Set Monitor Color
by on Mar 22, 2013 at 8:33:43 pm

Hi Scott -

This is a standard problem in studio setups - cameras see the monitors as a "daylight" source for some reason, and a warming setup must be put in place before rendering. That said, this only works if you have control of what's going in to those monitors on the shoot.

In my case, what we had in the studio which was critical to be correct were all of our monitor loops of the station logo. The only way to figure this out for this particular case is to test them out for the specific camera you're using. I'd suggest to you three or four short snippets of your source material back to back, render off the clips, then record them through the camera and make your decision. If your stuck with monitors which are just displaying sources, you'll have to figure out something in your switcher to do the job.

While you could try one of the preset PS filters which is also in After Effects, it's usually a little more complicated than that. You may want to warm it a bit, kick up the contrast a bit, and maybe even do a slight blur to counteract any moire which may occur.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved