ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE / Media Encoder and Mpeg 2

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david duncan
AE / Media Encoder and Mpeg 2
on Feb 14, 2013 at 7:45:40 pm

First, thanks to all the experts who help out every day. I may not post often, but I use the resources here often!

Quick question and hopefully quick solution:

Using After Effects CS 5, and need to export 1920 x 1080 Mpeg 2 for client. Using the drop down Mpeg2 selection (not Mpeg2 DVD)in the output module. When doing this straight out of AE, I get nothing but a green pixelated screen.

When using Media Encoder via dynamic link, it exports just fine with the same settings, but it fades up from black (not something I need, nor is it on the composition.) I even set the 'background' to white in the composition settings tab thinking that was it, but it still fades up from black.

I must be missing something, but I can't find it. Any tips?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: AE / Media Encoder and Mpeg 2
on Feb 15, 2013 at 12:14:51 am

I generally output a master file from AE or PPro at full size, uncompressed (usually 1920 x 1080), then output my delivery formats using Adobe Media Encoder. Although AE and PPro supposedly use the same encoding engine as AME, I find that I get better results using the "master from the software, delivery format from media encoder" routine.

It also gives you a nice, easy way to batch process multiple delivery formats in one fell swoop. I have no idea why you're getting the fade up you're talking about - I've never seen anything like that, but I never use Media Encoder via the Dynamic Link route.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

david duncan
on Feb 15, 2013 at 3:00:15 pm

Thanks for the reply Joseph. That's what we've ended up doing: exporting a high res file out of AE (Animation .mov in our case), then using Media Encoder to batch the file types we need.

I'm guessing/assuming that the fade-up has something to do with mpeg 2 and that dynamic link to After Effects. I've never seen that before either, and it couldn't be reproduced with another codec: h.264, etc. That combination just doesn't work well. Strangely though, that fade from black effect only affected certain layers. I have a lower third on this spot, and the lower third didn't fade up like the rest of the video; it was perfectly normal. Even if I created a new composition in AE with only one layer (he master comp) and exported that, I got the same results. Weird right?

Anyway, no harm no foul. We're getting the spots out now. but any bug/glitch/whatever is always worth noting...

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Feb 16, 2013 at 12:56:14 am

And needless to say, you should set it in stone by filing a bug report:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>