ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How can one add a feather to a Luma Matte?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Serban
How can one add a feather to a Luma Matte?
on Jan 18, 2013 at 12:08:10 am

Hey everyone, I am animating a logo and I have a kind of poor man's "glimmer" effect running through the logo at a certain point in time (I say "poor man" because there is probably a better way to achieve this).

The way I did this was I animated a group of white solid bars, pre-comped them, placed that under a comp of my animated logo, set the logo to luma matte so that the white bars show through the text, and then I duplicated the logo layer, removed the luma matte, and put it at the bottom of the layer stack, so that the luma matte bars render on top of the duplicated logo.

What I would like to do is to make those white bars bleed outside of the edges of the logo/luma matte layer, which would give it a kind of shiny effect. Attached are photos of my comp final composition and layer stack. I've made use of pre-composing, so in the timeline, the compositions are arranged from left to right in order of bottom to top render.

Layer stack/luma matte:

Final Comp so far:

The logo was created in Illustrator, so its composed of multiple vector layers.

Any advise?

Return to posts index

Viktor Tornfors
Re: How can one add a feather to a Luma Matte?
on Jan 18, 2013 at 4:46:21 pm

If you want the matte to bleed/feather, just add a bit of fast blur to the matte-layer. That will make it feather outside of it's original edges.

---------------------------------------
22 year old motion designer from Sweden.
http://www.vimeo.com/tornfors

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]