ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How can one add a feather to a Luma Matte?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex SerbanHow can one add a feather to a Luma Matte?
by on Jan 18, 2013 at 12:08:10 am

Hey everyone, I am animating a logo and I have a kind of poor man's "glimmer" effect running through the logo at a certain point in time (I say "poor man" because there is probably a better way to achieve this).

The way I did this was I animated a group of white solid bars, pre-comped them, placed that under a comp of my animated logo, set the logo to luma matte so that the white bars show through the text, and then I duplicated the logo layer, removed the luma matte, and put it at the bottom of the layer stack, so that the luma matte bars render on top of the duplicated logo.

What I would like to do is to make those white bars bleed outside of the edges of the logo/luma matte layer, which would give it a kind of shiny effect. Attached are photos of my comp final composition and layer stack. I've made use of pre-composing, so in the timeline, the compositions are arranged from left to right in order of bottom to top render.

Layer stack/luma matte:

Final Comp so far:

The logo was created in Illustrator, so its composed of multiple vector layers.

Any advise?

Return to posts index

Viktor TornforsRe: How can one add a feather to a Luma Matte?
by on Jan 18, 2013 at 4:46:21 pm

If you want the matte to bleed/feather, just add a bit of fast blur to the matte-layer. That will make it feather outside of it's original edges.

---------------------------------------
22 year old motion designer from Sweden.
http://www.vimeo.com/tornfors

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How can one add a feather to a Luma Matte?
by on Jan 18, 2013 at 4:56:01 pm

You may want to investigate AE's CC Light Sweep effect rather than jumping through all those hoops.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: How can one add a feather to a Luma Matte?
by on Jan 19, 2013 at 12:04:11 am

As the others have said, blurring the matte layer is what you're after. That's actually what a feather really is under the hood: a blur on the alpha channel values for the matte created by a mask. SO this really is exactly the same thing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Alex SerbanRe: How can one add a feather to a Luma Matte?
by on Jan 19, 2013 at 4:43:25 am

Thanks everyone! Blurring the matte layer, duh! And the CC light sweep effect is a gem, I haven't gone through all the effects yet, I wonder how many there are that would save me time like that haha.

Return to posts index

Viktor TornforsRe: How can one add a feather to a Luma Matte?
by on Jan 19, 2013 at 6:19:32 pm

Experimenting to get a desired look is never a bad idea. Many effects that gives certain looks are so easily spotted by other people who have used the software. Especially CC light sweep is something that myself is quite tired of seeing.
So trying to do something yourself is never a bad idea if you want a unique result!
Good luck.

---------------------------------------
22 year old motion designer from Sweden.
http://www.vimeo.com/tornfors

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: How can one add a feather to a Luma Matte?
by on Jan 20, 2013 at 4:59:28 pm

Also bear in mind that Light Sweep, although somewhat limited in it's scope/look, can also be applied multiple times, with varying widths and brightnesses (even colors), giving you the possibility of very complex looks. All you do is offset the timing to get multiples. You can also vary the direction of the sweep, giving it a rotational look, and getting some pretty cool looks that way.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]