ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

how do i make a splash in water

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ellen osbornehow do i make a splash in water
by on Jan 9, 2013 at 2:51:06 am

I'd like to drop an olive into a martini glass and see a splash as the olive hits the gin. Splash up and settle back down. It doesn't have to look completely realistic. What's the best way to do this?
Thanks for the help.
Ellen

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: how do i make a splash in water
by on Jan 9, 2013 at 2:26:57 pm

The only way to do this convincingly is by using a 3D package - Blender is free, and comes with liquid simulation, but also has a relatively steep learning curve.

To keep it in AE you would have to use a third party plugin, I would suggest either Freeform, which I know nothing about, or Newton, which I own, and which is pretty good at liquid simulation via large numbers of particles, and the only true physics simulator for After Effects. You have to fool the eye, but there
are a couple of samples on the website which will show you whether it's good enough for what you're doing:

http://www.motionboutique.com

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

ellen osborneRe: how do i make a splash in water
by on Jan 9, 2013 at 3:50:07 pm

Thanks. I'll check these out. I don't have time right now to learn new software. The piece i'm working on is animated from hand drawings, so i think i'll just try to work something up in photoshop, unless someone has an idea for AE.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: how do i make a splash in water
by on Jan 9, 2013 at 11:20:21 pm

Why not shoot a practical effect for this?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jan 10, 2013 at 7:07:15 am

As in drop an olive into a martini glass and film it?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: how do i make a splash in water
by on Jan 10, 2013 at 3:32:17 pm

If I know Dave, that's exactly what he means, and it's probably the best way to achieve what you're looking for. In terms of time and expense outlay - your materials couldn't get much cheaper. The only thing to bear in mind is that you might want to shoot it with something that will do at least 60fps, so that if you slo-mo it, it will look good. It all depends on the look you want to achieve.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 10, 2013 at 3:38:32 pm

sounds like fun. i'll give it a try. of course, then i have to learn how to remove the background from a moving image and I don't have the slightest clue on how to do that. Can you direct me to a tutorial?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 10, 2013 at 5:46:44 pm

You are correct, Joe, I did indeed mean dropping an olive into a martini glass. To adjust for the difference in viscosity between an alcoholic drink and plain old water, glycerine would be a good choice. Judicious use of food coloring could tint the liquid.

I also have to ask this: why remove the background? Why not set up the entire shot, INCLUDING the background? Thus, there is no need to eliminate it.

If it simply can't be done, AE's Rotobrush would certainly be able to isolate the glass, and a few frames of rotoscoping takes care of the olive. I would, however, make darned sure the shot's background is almost dead-on to the color of the eventual background.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

by on Jan 10, 2013 at 6:04:20 pm

I probably need to clarify. The animation that I'm working on has a cartoon aesthetic, so I'm not looking for reality. I want a cartoon splash. So even if I filmed it, I'd probably end up doing some kind of filter on it to bring it back into my cartoon world. What I might do, is film it, then draw over the frames in photoshop and just use the film as a guide. I was hoping that there was some way to just dial in "splash" in AE, but it looks like if that's what I'm after I need to go third party.

Thanks for the ideas. You guys are terrific.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2013 at 3:09:34 pm

There's one nice thing about shooting it: the physics of the motion will be correct. That's a big time saver even if you draw over the footage in Photoshop.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2013 at 4:54:37 pm

That's what I did and it worked out great. A splash doesn't do what we might imagine. Looking at it frame by frame was fascinating.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]