ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Keying Out separate colors on a character animation with an alpha channel

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh WhiteKeying Out separate colors on a character animation with an alpha channel
by on Dec 12, 2012 at 10:06:53 pm

Hi everyone!

I have these character animations with distinguished colors for each part - hair: magenta Skin: Chroma green Clothes: Chroma blue. The animations have no background with an alpha channel. I want replace these bright colors with different animated textures. For example: I have an animated hair texture which I would like to replace the Magenta color with.
I have managed to key out the colors on the animation so that the texture layer underneath appears in the right place. But obviously the rest of the texture can be seen where the alpha channel is. I want the texture to be masked around the edge of the character. I have tried using the track matte on the texture layer and this masks the layer correctly around the outside of the character animation. So in order to get what I want to achieve I have to precompose this, and then bring in another copy of the character animation over the top and key out the color. This does work. However, I feel like there is a quicker solution to this, maybe someone here would be able to help me out! I have included a screen shot to show what i mean.

Thankyou!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Keying Out separate colors on a character animation with an alpha channel
by on Dec 13, 2012 at 3:21:23 pm

Duplicate the layer. Key out the desired color on the top layer. Put the texture on the layer below it. Use the top keyed layer as a track matte -- Alpha Inverted Matte, I think -- for the texture.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Josh WhiteRe: Keying Out separate colors on a character animation with an alpha channel
by on Dec 13, 2012 at 4:58:32 pm

Thanks for your help! I have tried this already, and it kind of works. Except that there is a fringe of the texture below that exceeds the black border of the character. How would i get around this?
thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Keying Out separate colors on a character animation with an alpha channel
by on Dec 13, 2012 at 5:25:00 pm

Simple: pull a better key. You currently have some problems with it.

Or you can not key at all, and draw an accurate mask around the desired part of the image. Better still would be to have the parts of the images that will get the textures on their own layers.

I get the feeling you're trying to use AE intuitively, which is a very, very bad idea. Some quality time at the following link will definitely help:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff....

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]