ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After effects the best program to use for Wacom painting?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leigh Patterson
After effects the best program to use for Wacom painting?
on May 13, 2014 at 9:32:49 pm

Self-explanatory. Should I be using Motion instead? Haven't made an After Effects purhase yet so I'm looking for advice on what to use with my Wacom Intuos Pro.

I also run Editshare Lightworks, I'm on PC only.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: After effects the best program to use for Wacom painting?
on May 13, 2014 at 11:10:04 pm

By Wacom painting, do you mean drawing paint strokes and vector strokes, which will be animated, with your pen, or do you mean painting which mimics traditional media, which you might do in Photoshop, Painter, or Artrage?

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Leigh Patterson
on May 14, 2014 at 3:22:24 am

Thank you for your response!

Sorry, it wasn't so self-explanatory after all. To give you a video example, this is the kind of stye I'm trying to achieve:

So, it would be animated strokes and vector strokes.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 14, 2014 at 3:17:25 pm

Thanks for the clarification - what I see in Masakatu's work is naturalistic painting in Photoshop, most likely painted frame by frame, rotoscoping of video images, probably in AE, which are then in some places used as masks for other patterns, and some line drawing, probably using the Paint module in After Effects. It's the artistic combination of these relatively simple processes that makes the work sing.

I have years of experience using Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects, but none with Motion, so I can't give you an intelligent comparison between AE and Motion, but my gut tells me that the ability to work and share within the Adobe packages will make your projects easier to manage. I've used my Wacom tablet in Photoshop, and, once you get the mechanics of your brushes set up, you'll find it to be somewhat painterly. There's quite a bit of work out there done in Photoshop which you wouldn't be able to tell from traditional media. That said, take a look at Artrage and Painter (now owned by Corel). Artrage is inexpensive, and has some very powerful features, but integration with After Effects would have to be done frame by frame, as far as I know.

One very important thing to check out before making your decision is the various problems people might be having with the Wacom drivers and the software you're deciding upon. Check out the Motion, After Effects, and Photoshop support forums, and see whether people are having recurring problems. You want to spend your time painting, not trouble-shooting.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Leigh Patterson
on May 14, 2014 at 8:11:49 pm

Thanky you for your amazing insight!

I don't mind using several packages together.

I will probably be working in 12 fps (possibly a 24 fps capture) in Lightworks, rotoscoping in AE or Motion then printing each frame onto photo paper, filming again with a Rostrum stand for physical effects and then back into photoshop, artrage or painter to finish with 'paint.'

It sounds very messy at the moment but I'm sure it will come together. thank you for helping me on my way. :)

P.S, I've had support from Wacom before and they were reliable, I hope there isn't going to be a problem with the drivers. I currently use the Wacom for a few different applications on 64 bit windows without any problems

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 15, 2014 at 1:12:01 pm

It might take a couple of tries for you to get the best Wacom driver for your operating system. It took me about three tries on my workstation, running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit - it may have been problems with the mouse drivers conflicting with the Wacom driver, but the tablet would work on one bootup, then not work on the next. I finally got a driver version that worked, and it's rock solid now.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Leigh Patterson
on May 15, 2014 at 3:07:17 pm

Thank you, Dave LaRonde. I had missed that slight incompatibility. :D

Joseph W. Bourke, I will let you know how I get on and will post which version of the drivers I end up using.

My only question now is to decide whether to buy CS 6 as a package or to buy Photoshop and After Effects on their own? Are either of you users of the CS 6 packagae or did you just purchase After Effects?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 15, 2014 at 6:13:06 pm

As the Good Mr. Bourke points out, it's tricky. You have to look at your entire workflow to see what works best for YOU.

And then it gets trickier: you have to haul out your crystal ball to determine how your work may change in the future, and how other software you use may change as well.

They don't make this stuff a straightforward decision, do they?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Leigh Patterson
on May 16, 2014 at 6:17:14 pm

They really don't. I think I will begin 'on the cheap' and pick either Artrage or Corel and do most of the work by hand.

After Effects isn't the cheapest Wacom painting option, that's for sure. :)

Thanks again for the help,

If either of you have any digital painting work I can see and you can post a link, that would be great. I am look for some inspiration.

All the best.

Leigh

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 15, 2014 at 4:36:47 pm

This is a tricky decision, since I'm not sure what the current CS6 choices are as far as individual packages, or collections. I own and use the CS6 Master Collection, so I have everything that Adobe makes. In the past, I have owned the CS4 Production Premium collection, which was geared toward media production, and I'm not sure whether it's offered anymore (Todd Kopriva can no doubt weigh in and tell you your options there, or give you a link).

I have not jumped in to the Creative Cloud subscription model, because I currently can do the work I need to do with CS6, and I want to see how the subscription model shakes out. There may be advantages or disadvantages to that model, but only you (or your employer) can decide that. The subscription will give you everything (the Master Collection), but you won't need a lot of it, and those who don't like the subscription model feel locked in forever, because you have to be subscribed to open the project files. That's a business choice, and I don't recommend one or the other, but you can read about it here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/creativeclouddebate

It will make your head spin, and there's no definitive answer to whether it's good or bad. It just is what it is.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 14, 2014 at 9:53:16 pm

Unfortunately, Motion is only available for Mac. So strike one application from your list of possibilities.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]