ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Morphing / timelapse plant growth

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bart kleevenMorphing / timelapse plant growth
by on Nov 30, 2012 at 3:47:20 pm

For a new project I want to create the following effect:

For a company who is growing trees I will be filming 4 times this year (each season) a couple of hours to show the different stages of the growth of the trees within the company. So i thought i might do this in a time-lapse effects on a couple of trees or maybe a morphing effect through-out the different stages of the growth. Does anyone have a suggestion, workflow tips or anything how to accomplish this effect?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Morphing / timelapse plant growth
by on Nov 30, 2012 at 9:17:39 pm

You won't want to "film", which implies motion. It won't do you any good. Shoot stills in a LOT higher definition than you'll use in AE.

You'll want to consult with the client to learn how tall a tree may grow in a year's time. Beginning with the seedling, you'll want to allow enough vertical space to accommodate the vertical growth. Bring a measuring stick of some sort so you can get it right. Personally, I'd have a 12-foot tape measure at the very least.

If you want to make life easier, you'll want to take one shot with a BLUE screen behind it: trees have green leaves, y'know, so a green screen isn't a great idea. Plus a background shot at the very start to make a clean plate. You will be Morphing over it.

You'll want to shoot under consistent sky conditions: cloudy, sunny... pick one. Then shoot that way throughout. Trees don't grow much over the course of a couple of weeks, so you have a very wide time window.

You'll want to place the camera in the same position every time you shoot. Perhaps you should pound in a stake. Don't forget to measure distance from the ground, tilt & pan angle, etc. Same f-stop and shutter speed, too. Use the same lens always.

When the year concludes, you can use AE or Photoshop on the blue-screen shots to isolate the tree and align the one place that won't change over time: where the tree comes out of the ground.

There are many morphing recipes available. Find them BEFORE you shoot to check them out. Google the following words: morph AND "After Effects"

Favor the ones from Adobe and the Creative COW. Avoid the ones by high school kids.

Proper planning produces prosperity.......

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

bart kleevenRe: Morphing / timelapse plant growth
by on Dec 3, 2012 at 12:52:58 pm

superb.. thank you very much, for these helpful tips.and taking the time to answer my question.

The only question i still have is that i'm only able to shoot 4 times, and my concern is, that it isn't enough to make a proper timelapse/morph. so if you have any suggestions about that?

thanks

Return to posts index

by on Dec 3, 2012 at 5:55:13 pm

Who set that four-shot limit: you, who's actually DOING the effect, or the client, who wants to reflect four seasons?

I think you need to ask the client some more questions on how he/she envisions the look of the completed shot.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

bart kleevenRe: Morphing / timelapse plant growth
by on Dec 5, 2012 at 9:20:09 am

I will be doing the effect, The limit on four is set by the client, each season 1 day of shooting.. He wants to see the difference in growth during the year

Thanks for your effort, and I will be discussing the shot with the client again

Return to posts index

by on Dec 5, 2012 at 4:03:29 pm

Here's why I don't think the client hasn't really thought out the shot:
The client wants to show four stages of growth, apparently.

This sounds like grow and pause, executed four times. You'd want a couple-three interim shots to show the growing portion. You'd need to show the fast passage of time as it grows. What form would that take?

Sure, you can get four shots and meet the client's instructions to the letter. Just make sure that if you do so, you carefully explain what the client will see, because the final result won't be realized until a year from now at the very earliest.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]