ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Looking for tutorial information for a specific task

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Jones
Looking for tutorial information for a specific task
on Nov 30, 2012 at 12:03:03 am

Hello,

I've done some basic tutorials for After Effects but I'm having trouble finding information on how to do a specific task.

I have a shot of a street where the hero's car drives into the shot.

The camera was locked down for the shot.

In the shot the hero's car is supposed to be the only car on the road but we didn't have any permits of course and there are a few other cars that pass by during the shot (Only behind the hero's car).

I'm trying to remove the unwanted cars from the shot.

I know WHAT I'm supposed to do, but not HOW to do it.

I know After Effects is perfect to tackle this, but I'm having trouble finding the right tutorial to walk me through how to do it.

It would help if I knew what doing this is actually called :)

I'm using Lyndia.com and I have a few After Effects books but I'm just not sure what to search for.

Can anyone tell me what doing this is called? Or do you know of any tutorials that would walk me though this?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Looking for tutorial information for a specific task
on Nov 30, 2012 at 3:44:52 pm

First thing: you need a clean plate: a shot of the street with no cars in it. If you don't have one, you have to build one using multiple layers and masking.

I'd suspect Rotobrush will help a lot to isolate the car from its current background. Once isolated from the background, you put it over the clean plate.

If you're not familiar with using Rotobrush, go to AE's Online Help, then search for the term Rotobrush. You'll come across Adobe's entry for it. Read it and pay attention to the links, and TAKE THE TIME TO LOOK AT THE VIDEO TUTORIALS: you'll save time and aggravation in the long run.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Jones
on Nov 30, 2012 at 5:30:15 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply.

We did shoot long takes so that we have a lot of clean background footage.

I'm trying to draw loose circles around the cars I want to take away then delete them (to reveal the clean background). I sort of figured out how to do that last night by trail and error - but I can't find any tutorials on how to do it - I'm not sure what doing that is called.

I tried the roto tool but the hero's car doesn't stand out from the background that well. So I tried to use the pen tool but that really doesn't work very well.

In Photoshop I would use the lasso tool but the closest thing I can find in After Effects is the pen tool but as I said setting points doesn't seem to work very well when you are trying to draw the contours of a complicated shape. Does After Effects have something like the lasso tool?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 30, 2012 at 6:34:58 pm

To give specific advice on how to proceed, we'd need screen shots plus descriptions of what should and shouldn't be in them.

Right now we're flying blind with no instruments.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Chris Jones
on Dec 1, 2012 at 4:02:29 am

Thanks again for the help.

This is the clip posted on Youtube:

I'm trying to remove all the cars except for the old black Buick turning the corner.

You can also see a biker comes in behind the Buick - he needs to be removed also.
The jpegs: I'm able to do what I want in Photoshop on one frame. I just am not sure how to do it for a full clip with After effects.

Return to posts index

Chris Jones
on Dec 1, 2012 at 4:05:06 am

oops!
I pasted the same photo twice. Here is the one with the cars removed:

Return to posts index

Chris Jones
on Dec 1, 2012 at 4:07:51 am

Return to posts index

Chris Jones
on Dec 1, 2012 at 4:10:54 am

Sorry for all the repeated posted photos. It kept publishing the first one for some reason.

Closing and reopening my browser seems to have fixed it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 1, 2012 at 4:43:38 pm

Oh, that shouldn't be all that tough: animate a mask around the edges of the car. You shouldn't have to worry much about the part below the car. It should go over the part of the shot with no cars in it.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Chris Jones
on Dec 1, 2012 at 4:49:53 pm

Okay, thanks.

Do you know of a tutorial that show how to do that?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 1, 2012 at 5:08:30 pm

The process of animating masks to isolate a part of the picture is called Rotoscoping. You can google rotoscoping or rotoscope.

But first you have to know how to animate a mask. So grab a solid in AE. Make a mask on it. Hit the stopwatch on the Mask path property. Move the timeline cursor. Move the mask vertices. You've just animated a mask.

Check this out from the guy who literally writes the book on After Effects information from Adobe:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2009/03/rotoscoping-in-after-effects-a....

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Chris Jones
on Dec 2, 2012 at 5:07:43 am

Thanks Dave,

It seems my definition of rotoscoping might have been too limited rotoscoping is what I need to do.

That website looks good and some of the videos tutorial in the link look like they will be very helpful.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]