ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Common Causes of Crashes at Render Time?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tommy CharlesCommon Causes of Crashes at Render Time?
by on Nov 22, 2012 at 7:44:48 am

Hey experts,

I got about 80% through my first major After Effects project. I'm very happy with what I've been able to achieve being such a novice--mostly due to investing in great plugins :P--and I hate to give up on my work, but AE is throwing up all over itself.

I'm sure it isn't AE's fault. For instance, I'm on a Vista machine, and I know that's a no-no. I'm also only feeding it 2 gigs of RAM. I plan to rectify both problems, but for now, can you let me know of any other major causes of AE crashes at render time, or of any techniques to prevent said crashes?

On an unrelated note, are there sites specifically for AE where we can upload our work for critique? (Think Zbrush Central for Zbrush, if you're familiar with that site)

Thanks fellow artists!

On an

Return to posts index

Jean-Fran├žois RobichaudRe: Common Causes of Crashes at Render Time?
by on Nov 27, 2012 at 7:30:34 pm

Low RAM could definitely be partly responsible for this, but it's impossible to know what software of hardware conflicts might exist on your system. Try turning off all Open GL acceleration. Kill all unnecessary processes before starting the render.

There are a few workarounds you can try. First is rendering as an image sequence. Even if After Effects crashes halfway through, whatever was already rendered won't be lost. Then you just need to render the parts you're missing.

Also, try pre-rendering parts of your composition, and reinserting that into a copy of the final composition.

Return to posts index

Tommy CharlesRe: Common Causes of Crashes at Render Time?
by on Nov 27, 2012 at 10:11:48 pm

Hey Jean, thanks for the response!

Oddly, I did get everything to render on its own, but now I have a composition made up of only pre-rendered clips and 2 adjustment layers and it crashes about halfway through. All clips are the same frame rate and resolution.

One clip in particular seems to be causing it, so I'll remove that and see what happens.

Rendering as a TIFF sequence looks interesting, I'll look into that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved