ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

HOW TO DO THIS EFFECT! Panning Effect Music Video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian MooreHOW TO DO THIS EFFECT! Panning Effect Music Video
by on Oct 20, 2012 at 12:41:38 am

Hello! I have a music video shoot coming up within the next month and would like to try some new effects but was curious about this effect:

at different times the camera pans left and right quickly
(shown at :49-:51) (1:12-1:13) are good examples but is through the video constantly.

i am not sure if it is shot that way with quick pans or is done in after effects using a plug-in or animating with a camera.

if you know how to do this i would be very happy to learn!

thank you!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: HOW TO DO THIS EFFECT! Panning Effect Music Video
by on Oct 21, 2012 at 4:39:05 pm

Well...I can think of a few ways to do it. One is done in the camera, and it's generally called a Swish-pan. At the end of a shot, or the beginning of a shot, pan the camera quickly into place. The only problem with this is that it limits your editing creativity, since the swish is where it is. Another way to do it is to shoot a set of swish pans for each of your shooting setups - do one left to right, right to left, hell, even top to bottom and bottom to top. Then you cut them into the static versions of the shots where you need them, either with a cut or a soft-cut.

Another way to do it is to use one of the Smear distortion effects in After Effects (I forget exactly what they're called, but they should be under the Distort category. Animate and blur it, and you're looking pretty good, but not quite as good as the in-camera version.

The third way to do it is to buy some stock swish pans:

That's one place you can get them. Problem here is that you'll have to colorize them to match the shot you're leaving, unless you find one that gives you a creative idea for using it as is. You mighy even find some stuff out there on free stock video sites at the end of "real" shots, since swish-pan didn't become a creative effect until maybe the forties or fifties - before then it was considered cutting room floor material.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Ian MooreRe: HOW TO DO THIS EFFECT! Panning Effect Music Video
by on Oct 24, 2012 at 3:13:43 am

Thanks! I appreciate the input. I will test all of your mentioned techniques and will let you know how it works out! thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved