ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

24p vs 25p

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Nutkins24p vs 25p
by on Oct 19, 2012 at 7:12:39 am

Hi there,

I'm currently in pre-production on an independent feature length documentary. My intended distribution channels are theatrical (international festivals) and TV (worldwide).

What is the best format for these purposes? From my research 24p appears to be the best option for festivals (though perhaps it doesn't matter?) and 25p is best for European TV (though 24p>25p conversion seems to be easier and perhaps won't cause problems with acquiring broadcast?)

Both theatrical exhibition and TV broadcast are equally important so I am highly conflicted.

One other point - is 23.987p preferable to 24p for these purposes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Andrey SibiryakovRe: 24p vs 25p
by on Oct 19, 2012 at 10:59:13 am

There is a plugin from Andrew Kramer for rate conversion.
It works very well for me.
I can only suggest you to try it and see, is it handy or not in your case.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 24p vs 25p
by on Oct 19, 2012 at 5:53:29 pm

You'll need to pick a frame rate. There's no best answer, just this question: which frame rate will be used most frequently?

Your project involves not just video, but audio. You probably have lip-sync audio. The Andrew Kramer plugin may suit your purposes for frame rate conversion.

You may also wish to investigate frame rate conversion via hardware, which looks great and sounds great, but is expensive.

Or you can simply conform files to the new frame rate. The video runs at a different speed, you have to tweak the audio a bit. It's primary virtue is that you can do it with the tools at hand.

And in NTSC-Land, the film frame rate is 23.976, not 23.987. Those minute fractions will kill you. Make sure they're right.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved