ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Getting a curved illustrator shape to "draw on"

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max PalmerGetting a curved illustrator shape to "draw on"
by on Oct 16, 2012 at 7:52:32 pm

Hi guys- I have a logo design that I want to animate on. It has curved sections that I want to "paint on". Normally I'd just use the Writeon effect, but I also want to be able to scale or zoom out of the shape plus have continously rasterize on to maintain sharpness. I can't find a technique that will work the way I want, once I make the shape 3d. Is there an easy way to do this with a mask? Here is what the shape looks like:

Return to posts index

Andrey SibiryakovRe: Getting a curved illustrator shape to "draw on"
by on Oct 17, 2012 at 12:05:14 pm

Hi Max.

Yes, you can do it by animating your mask as alpha channel for the logo curve. You need only to precompose mask with logo layer, and then make it a 3d. You will be able to continuously rasterize it still.

You can achieve write on effect with a shape layer drawn on above your curve and applied stroke after. this stroke can be animated and used as alpha.

I would prefer the second method.

Return to posts index

Max PalmerRe: Getting a curved illustrator shape to "draw on"
by on Oct 17, 2012 at 1:03:36 pm

Thanks Andrey- after fussing around yesterday, I was able to get the effect to work great with Trapcode 3d Stroke.

But, that second method- you're saying that you can apply the stroke effect to a path on a shape layer, and then animate the stroke? I've never used that technique, but I will try it in the future.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved