ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Outline Mask / Matte Choker

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim KingOutline Mask / Matte Choker
by on Oct 6, 2012 at 4:28:13 am

I have an effect I'm going for, but don't know the best technique for it (imagine that!)

I am making looping animated icons for weather. They need to have a transparent background. I hope to make the icons simple with one color... similar to the MS Sky Drive logo:

I would like to animate parts independently, and maintain a buffer between the objects. By buffer, I'm referring to the gap between the cloud and the sun. For example, say the sun rotates in a circle, and the cloud is displaced by a map. I'd like to keep hard edges on the objects. The "gap" would show the transparent background. I've tried different combinations of track mattes, masks, and choker mattes. However, I know there's got to be a better technique that I'm missing.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Outline Mask / Matte Choker
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 1:45:17 am

I'm thinking that a white Stroke on the cloud which is supposed to be in the front would do the trick. Oh, but you want what's the white stroke in the sample to be transparent, correct? How about putting a blue stroke on the foreground cloud, then doing a simple Color Key to remove the stroke? That should give you your "buffer". Then output your animated file as a Quicktime Animation, millions of colors+, which will give you an alpha channel. Or a PNG file sequence would do the same, depending on what your deliverables require.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved